I'm Coco Loco

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15122

Reaction score
I love coconut flavours in my beer.

I've only tried two, a low gravity coconut fruit beer by Mongozo and a porter/stout with coconut flavours by Grafton.

Has anybody brewed using coconut, previous threads have mentioned using desiccated stuff, but I'm wondering what sort of amounts to use, and when.

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but I'm also interested to hear what others think - as I'd quite like to try using some coconut water in a brew seeing as I have access to it pure & unadulterated thanks to a client/office neighbour with a juice company.

Looks like we're on our own here Dan.

I think I'll use a milk stout recipe as my base, add some roasted desiccated coconut at the end of the boil, then split the are into five demi johns and add varying amounts of roasted desiccated coconut into each batch.

Not sure about coconut water, although I do love it, how much flavour do you think it would bring?

Cool - please report back when you've given it a try.
I love coconut and think in the right beer it could be delicious.
I know what you mean about the coconut water, it has a pretty mild flavour, and I'm sure toasted desiccated will impart much more coconutiness. Although I'm sure I read somewhere that you might get fat/oil out of the coconut, which wouldn't be great, and why I was thinking the water might avoid this.
How much are you thinking of using?

Thanks, it looks like the toasted coconut works well - always seems to be used in dark brews though. I wonder if it be would be a more prominent flavour in a pale beer?

I think it would be weird in a pale beer myself. But I could be wrong!

I think it would be weird in a pale beer myself. But I could be wrong!

I know what you mean - and nothing against dark beers - just thinking the coconut would be less overpowered by grains in something lighter.

Back