Inactive FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBrewing

Reaction score
I've kicked off two brews yesterday, one malbec and one bulldog mixed berries cider. They both wanted basically the same method and temperatures 20-25, my house is a constant 22 and I was meticulous about getting the pitch temperature right. The malbec is bubbling away beautifully but there's not any movement on the FV lid of the cider yet or any activity in the airlock. Should I be worried, intervene or just hurry up and wait?

Thanks

Clint is right I wouldn't worry about it untill at least 36-48 hours after pitching. They are different brews with different yeasts (probably) don't think that they will ferment to exactly the same schedule.

Now approaching 48 hours, still not so much as pressure on the lid. It's my best sealing FV and not been opened once since it was opened

Crack the lid and shine a torch at the top of the wort and carefully watch for any activity...I've had a few where there's no airlock bubbles and virtually no lid pressure but there's little bubbles popping all over the surface.

Thanks, cracked it and there's definitely bubbles on top and surfacing.

Now I'm thinking leave it another few days and take a measurement with the hydrometer?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200414_075030.jpg
    MVIMG_20200414_075030.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks, cracked it and there's definitely bubbles on top and surfacing.

Now I'm thinking leave it another few days and take a measurement with the hydrometer?
I don't know a great deal about cider but the usual advice for beer is to leave it alone for 2 weeks after pitching to give it the chance to sort it self out completely, and then you can usually bottle. I'm sure there will be no harm done if you did the same.

I'm pleased to say dispite the complete lack of any visible activity, apart from when I looked really closely through a cracked the lid, i've taken a measurement (well a few) and we're at 0.999! Transferred 19L to a Corny and a few bottles, botled. All i've got now is a nice thick trub left in the bottom of the FV. Thanks for eveyone's reassuring words.

Back