infection risk?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've attached a pic of my bottle tops i used for bottling. just checked and it looks like all 70 i have are like this. 40 of which are being used for second time. don't know how i missed it first time round.

i am guessing that this would be an absolute haven for bacteria? or am i over reacting?

Top.jpg

Just don't store your beer upside down. So long as it's not actually in contact with it there is very little risk and fermented beer is much less likely to go off in a sealed container as alcohol is quite a good preservative ;)

All I do is wipe off any obvious mould with a tissue and dribble some boiling water over them to sanitise it a bit. Never had a spoiled bottle of beer after doing this.

All I do is wipe off any obvious mould with a tissue and dribble some boiling water over them to sanitise it a bit. Never had a spoiled bottle of beer after doing this.

Do you get mould on your swing tops? I never have despite the fact I just chuck them in the drip tray of my fastrack whilst the bottles are stored in their until I need them

ok cheers, wont worry about current batches then , but think i might try and get them replaced going forward

I agree I wouldn't worry at all mate, I've got some swing tops I've had for 4 years, they are like that and Ive never had a problem :)

Cheers
Jay

Just properly sanitize with brew friendly sanitizer and you should survive. It doesn't look like there is any debris in there, so even the cracks should properly sanitize. Just respect the sanitizers label and follow the directions.

Back