Is a Arduino the future?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?? 12% of 256 is 30.. 32k of mem on an uno cld be tight..

but if cyclops's whole system fits in 12% of his 256k of memory, more likely :) especially if listed as uno compatable ..

the number of pins needed to control cld aslo be an issue..

only one way to find out have fun....

This is the description for the shield?
2.4" TFT LCD Shield Touch Panel Display for Arduino
it does not work with arduino mega,thanks
With a beautiful large touchscreen display shield having built-in micro SD card connection, Arduino project can be more easy and fun. 240x320 pixels with individual pixel control, it has way more resolution than a black and white 128x64 display.You can detect finger presses anywhere on the screen since it has a resistive touchscreen attached to it.
The shield is fully assembled, tested and ready to go. No wiring, no soldering! Simply plug it in and load up our library - you'll have it running in under 10 minutes! Works best with any classic Arduino (UNO/Duemilanove/Diecimila). This shield does NOT work with the Mega Arduinos but its going to be half the speed of the Uno-type boards because of the way the Mega rearranges all the pins (there is no way to get around this!) This shield is not Leonardo-compatible

Features:

· 2.4" diagonal LCD TFT display
· Bright, 4 white-LED backlight, on by default but you can connect the transistor to a digital pin for backlight control
· Colorful, 18-bit 262,000 different shades
· 4-wire resistive touchscreen
· 240x320 resolution
· spfd5408 controller with built in video RAM buffer
· 8 bit digital interface, plus 4 control lines
· Uses digital pins 5-13 and analog 0-3. That means you can use digital pins 2, 3 and analog 4 and 5. Pin 12 is available if not using the micro SD
· 5V compatible, use with 3.3V or 5V logic
· Onboard 3.3V @ 300mA LDO regulator

bobsbeer said:
anthonyUK said:
If you buy a Chinese ethernet shield then OK but at UK prices a Raspi makes more sense for connectivity.

Arduino as the sensor control piping output to Raspi. Raspi can also run web front end for control, graphs etc.

I think this is the method that the BrewPi uses ;)

http://brewpi.com/

Not really seen Brewpi. Looks good. A combination of arduino and rasp pi seems like a brill way to go. It makes automation relatively straightforward, and is using the best of both machines.

I've got the brew pi shield just sitting in a box at home. I liked the concept but had and still dont have any idea what I am doing or how to upload the code to the pi or arduino to get it running.

djcorbetto said:
still dont have any idea what I am doing

You and me both my friend. :lol: But I'm getting there slowly. So far the only useful thing I've managed to do is show the temperature in my kitchen. But it's a start and wasn't that difficult. So there is hope for me yet. :lol:

the worse thing about it is that all the code etc is on brew pi's website so all i need to do is transfer it

Fil said:
?? 12% of 256 is 30.. 32k of mem on an uno cld be tight..

but if cyclops's whole system fits in 12% of his 256k of memory, more likely :) especially if listed as uno compatable ..

the number of pins needed to control cld aslo be an issue..

only one way to find out have fun....

Binary sketch size: 37,830 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum) - 14% used
Minimum Memory usage: 209 bytes

bobsbeer said:
Yes you need a resistor. PM me if you want a few. I got 100 :lol:

Cheers for the offer. I would take you up on it but imagine the cost of postage is more than buying a few from maplins?

Took the TFT off the arduino now and sorted out the reading of the temp sensors :)
7ata8yde.jpg

Looks great Ian. :thumb:

My freebies from Maxim came today. 4 x DS18S20's and 2 surface mount ones. So I should be sorted for temp probes. I had also asked for a sample of a mosfet driver. The thing is tiny. Not sure if I will be able to solder it. I'm guessing it is designed for a machine. You need a magnifying glass just to see it. :lol:

Just as things were getting more complicated I've come up with another idea to add into the plumbing. A ph sensor that will shut the valve from the mast tun to boiler and knock off the pump when the mash run off gets to around 6. Not sure how important this is, but it would ensure the runnings were not out of range before the boil volume was reached. The sensors themselves are fairly cheap, but finding one that has a housing capable of withstanding temps above 70c seems more difficult/expensive. The sensors themselves can no doubt cope but the cheap ones are housed in plastic. But assuming this can be overcome, connecting into the flow should not be a problem using a cable gland to seal it into the pipe with a tee.

Then it's just a matter of compiling the code to do this. Although I found a start with that here in a similar project.

Back