Is fermentation finished or stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfingobo

Reaction score
Coopers brew a american ipa went into the FV on 15/6/20 (6 days) Yeast pitched at 22 degrees by sprinkling on top and FV ambient temp kept at 18-20 degrees.

OG 1.051

No bubbling for 36 hours then good Krausen and lots of bubbling for about 24 hours and then nothing, maybe one bubble every 10 minutes max. Gravity reading last 3 days has been 1.017 so is this stuck or has this finished? When taking a sample it is very fizzy and cloudy taking about an hour to get a stable reading. I’m tempted to give this a gentle stir to try to get a few more points out of it but what would you all do? Sample tastes fairly sweet to me but this is my first brew so I have no reference points except commercial ales.

I have got a starter I’ve been stepping up from a couple of proper job bottles, have 400ml in a 1L bottle at the moment which I could pitch half of in to restart fermentation if consensus thinks that is the best course of action but from my reading on here I’m not far off a normal FG reading and most people seem to get stuck between 1.020 and 1.030

It's not finished at that SG and that's why it's sweet. Test your hydrometer in water at 20C. If it's OK add your yeast. Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I stirred last night and there has been no activity at all. The postie has brought me a 10g crossmyloof American ale yeast that I have pitched straight in, will give it an hour and then stir it in. Probably could have put half a pack in but I’m probably over cautious now having had my first brew stick on me!

I thought when I pitched the yeast the first time “7g isn’t a lot!”

Ok, 12 hours after pitching a new yeast pack it is down to 1.015 with not much activity but at least it is moving. I’ve stirred it in (went out earlier and forgot!) and have had a few bubbles, but may just be the dissolved co2 escaping due to stirring.

I will be leaving it along now and hoping for a decent fg when I test again at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back