Is my porter really this mental?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks rpt. I guess the dark spray malt has a lot of unfermentables.

Calculate that mine should be about 4.2% which is ideal for a stout. Maybe the 4.5% is expected when a kilo of dex or sugar has been added rather than dark spray malt.

Anyway, tasted pretty good from the sample jar last night. Bottling tonight and will try to keep my hands off for a month.

I added 500g of spray malt and 1kg of brewing sugar to an IPA kit, I racked to a second fv nearly two weeks ago and it's still pushing the water in the airlock up, I may have to leave it another week. I'm guessing that adding all this stuff makes the ferment a lot longer, first time I've used the dme though.

Changed my mind on this porter completely.

Now it's been a couple of months in bottle it's developed a really nice malt taste, more lively and retains it's head better.

Last month I wouldn't have but will do this again now.

Anybody suggest a porter kit from experience? Or a one can that provides a good base for a porter? I am thinking about a kit plus mini mash brew.

I did the Festival Porter kit for Xmas, highly recommend it. Its a usual 2 can kit from Festival, plus all the added extras (hops/sugar/priming sugar etc). All for roughly 25 notes. Came out about 5.5%.

Latest posts

Back