Is this a good deal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase the following hops as part of a bundle for £24. They are 250g packs so in total it'll be 1.75kg in total

They are

* Spalter select whole leaf hops - substitute for Tettnang & Saaz

* Hallertauer tradional whole leaf hops  - substitute for Liberty

* WGV whole leaf hops - substitute for Goldings

* Sovereign T90 hop pellets - refreshing alternative to Fuggles and Goldings

* Cluster whole leaf hops - slightly spicy and citrus

* Perle whole leaf hops - spicy, orange
* +1 additional bag from those listed above

As I've not heard of these I'm unsure as to what the value is?

On the face of it it seems like a deal. £1.40 per 100g.

Are they vac-packed? If not they could be pretty poor depending on age.

The only one of those I have tried is WGV. Not a direct substitute for goldings as I find it a lot harsher. Personally not one I would use in a single hop brew.

Well its actually part of a large bundle, I can get

5 packs dried yeast( Nottingham or s04)
4.2kg MO
1.75kg hops
5 'mega' protofloc tablets
2kg lager malt

All for £46 delivered.

The hops are vac packed btw

My opinion only...lokks like your supplier wants to move these hops along. great if you have a use for them, if not, doesn't look like a good deal. Only buy the ingredients that you want, not what is on offer.

It's a weird bundle! Small amounts of malt, tons of hops, a few protofloc. I buy Gervin ale yeast for £1.40, which is Nottingham.

The hops are cheap, but you don't know what condition they are in, or whether you will like them. I get hops from Worcesterhopshop mainly, £2.25 a pack, foil wrapped, and I just get the hops I want, not whatever happens to be in the bargain bin.

I wouldn't bother, personally.

I would not buy this deal even for half that price. I choose which hops I want to use. Not packages. Take a tip and only buy the hops you need for the amount of malt you have.last week I bought 56kilos of malt and 400grms of hops. They will be gone in 6 weeks. Nice and fresh. Look at the malt miller and worcester hop shop .also the homebrew shop. My advice will be only order what you need as fresh as you can get them. Happy Brewing :drink:

Back