Is this fridge suitable for temp controlled fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have had a few brews that have not tasted quite right, I think I have finally worked out that temperature during fermentation could be the issue....so with that in mind I had a quick look around and noticed people using fridges to ferment in.

I have just got myself a Frigidaire ignis fridge on fleabay for £5 that I plan to pick up tomorrrow. Measurements 85/45/62cm which I was hoping to turn into a temperature controlled fermentation chamber, I have just been told by the seller that this has an ice tray in the top. Does anyone happen to know if this would still be suitable to use to ferment in if I buy a pipe heater and one of those STC-1000 temperature controllers, as I have seen a few guides on youtube and also on here. If its no good for this I may just use it for bottled beer

Thank all

Hi Dan.. am looking at doing the same myself next year, i think the thing with ice boxes in fridges is that they take room that the bucket needs and or they are condensation traps at the temps you want to ferment at.

modding the ice box out is tricky cos coolant tubes generally run on or thru them.

but if you bucket fits in without modding and your happy to have a towel to mop up condensation id punt a fiver at it.. tho you didnt say how far you had to drive to pick it up...

if your bucket does not fit inside then the other option of course is to use a different shape fermentation vessel.. polypins are square...

you can use a beer cooler to keep temp wired up to a tc 10 and a pipe heater wired up to same no need for a fridge then and it controls your dispensing temp too

Mark where would I get a beer cooler, and what sort of price would they come in at??? :shock:

The fridge is just around the corner from me, so I thought at £5 it was a good price. If it cannot be used as a fermentation fridge, I will probably try to fold the ice box down to the back of the fridge (seen this on youtube) and use it for my cornie kegs. My other (lader) fridge I may convert to a fermentation fridge as I would probably get two fermenation buckets in that if one were on top of the other.... but I really wanted to turn the lader fridge into a keggerator over christmas, that way I would not need to bend down to pour a drink as the taps would be at the correct height

I shall try and post some photos tomorrow when I pick it up, see if anyone has any ideas. Thank you all for your help so far

I have a fridge freezer (a small one at about shoulder hight) that some one has given to me for free.. NONE of my fermenters fit inside the fridge section :eek: . I have been looking to buy a new FV for the fridge.. but I may just buy an ebay fridge for less and hope that it'll fit at least one of my FV's in :(

Get on freecycle. I got all of my fridges on freecycle, that's 3 undercounter larder fridges plus one tall larder fridge holding 4 cornies that is my kegerator. All for FREE.

If you join the local groups to me there are plenty to be had.

Runwell-Steve said:
Get on freecycle. I got all of my fridges on freecycle, that's 3 undercounter larder fridges plus one tall larder fridge holding 4 cornies that is my kegerator. All for FREE.

I did.. and freegle...6 Months later... NO fridges :(

Runwell-Steve said:

Cheers Steve just joined up as I'm looking for a fermenting fridge.

I have been keeping an eye on freecycle as I am a member, the only time I have seen one locally, I replied and just missed out on it. I will still be on the look out though...

Picked up the fleabay fridge today, going to leave it to stand a few days and then plug it in to check it holds its temps, assuming its all ok I will try and get some photos up this week. Looking at the layout the ice try section will need to be bent back as previously mentioned, from there on I will have to see if a fermenter will fit, if all goes well I will be getting the parts over christmas so I can start the build...failing that I will stick some shelves in and use it for bottles.

If I have better luck with my ferments in a temperature controlled enviroment, I will be looking to build my keggerator shortly after. I can see the garage filling up with fridges and kegs....why didnt I take note of the previous warning I was given about them 'breeding'! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back