Is this timer Suitable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughjamton

Reaction score
I'm going to shortly build a control panel (still waiting for some bits) to go with my new boil pot that I'm going to "build" today!
I've posted a link to a timer on Ali Express, I've ordered the mains version.
Do the experts on here think that the timer would be suitable to start a 2.2 kw element in my HLT?
To be honest, it's a secondary thought, I'm really getting it use as a clock and to time the brew.
CN101A LCD time switch 12V 24V 110V 220V Time Relay Street lamp billboard power supply timer WITHOUT waterproof box|timer timer|timer powertimer 220v - AliExpress

It claims it will at 260v and 16a - but not personally sure if I'd trust it... I'm happy with the basic temp sensor switch I got from Aliexpress but I use my to run a keezer so less power and less to go wrong if the switch fails.

Yes, Ali Express is legendary for overstating the abilities of their electronic items.
I'm hoping there's enough leeway in what they're claiming and what I need just in case.
I was kinda hoping someone was going to say, I've got one and it's great.

If you’re genuinely worried about it, use the timer switch to drive a relay.
I'm learning as I go along, would I be able to connect it to a pid that will control the HLT? or does the pid have to be physically turned on?
If I can't use it to start the hlt I'm not too bothered, it just might have been handy on occasion.

I'm learning as I go along, would I be able to connect it to a pid that will control the HLT? or does the pid have to be physically turned on?
If I can't use it to start the hlt I'm not too bothered, it just might have been handy on occasion.

Absolutely. You can set the temperature you want on the PID (the PID will control the heating element) and then use the timer to switch on the PID at a given time.

You might for example want your liquor at 75C but not want it on all night. You can set your timer to switch the temperature controlled heating system (PID) on at, say, 6am so you’re ready to dough-in at 7am.

Absolutely. You can set the temperature you want on the PID (the PID will control the heating element) and then use the timer to switch on the PID at a given time.

You might for example want your liquor at 75C but not want it on all night. You can set your timer to switch the temperature controlled heating system (PID) on at, say, 6am so you’re ready to dough-in at 7am.
Thanks, perhaps I should have mentioned the PID in my original post, DOH!
So it's better for the timer to go through the pid?

Thanks, perhaps I should have mentioned the PID in my original post, DOH!
So it's better for the timer to go through the pid?

I’d use the timer to power the PID and use the PID to heat the water.

I do something similar with my simple setup. I use an Inkbird temperature controller to power my boiler and plug the Inkbird into a programmable mains timer. I set the timer for 6:15 and the water is ready by 7:00 when I get up.

I’d use the timer to power the PID and use the PID to heat the water.

I do something similar with my simple setup. I use an Inkbird temperature controller to power my boiler and plug the Inkbird into a programmable mains timer. I set the timer for 6:15 and the water is ready by 7:00 when I get up.
Yes, I've read your brewery posts at least twice, my last brew, conditioning in a cornie, is your version of a Czech pilsner.
I was tempted to follow you down the burco route, but I already had a high quality 50ltr shiny that I bought years ago with the intention of taking up brewing but never had the time, until I took early retirement.
Up until now I've been using an FV with a couple of kettle elements, made some cracking beers, but yesterday I started upgrading my gear, DIY of course.

Yes, I've read your brewery posts at least twice, my last brew, conditioning in a cornie, is your version of a Czech pilsner.
I was tempted to follow you down the burco route, but I already had a high quality 50ltr shiny that I bought years ago with the intention of taking up brewing but never had the time, until I took early retirement.
Up until now I've been using an FV with a couple of kettle elements, made some cracking beers, but yesterday I started upgrading my gear, DIY of course.

Sounds interesting, you’ll have to post some pictures. I love a project!

The Czech Pilsner is drinkable after a week though is a little hazy. I hope you like it.

Back