It's time to remember "What we used to do!"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True story....
A chap was out metal detecting with his pal up on the Moors...his mate had a banging signal and decided to leave it as it sounded too big,like a can... rubbish...he followed...and dig it. It turned out to be a Roman patera dish ..very rare and worth £££,£££!

Historical types think it's great when they find artefacts of past civilisations. So think about future ones after ours has gone the way they all do, and leave something for them to marvel and ponder over, like empty Boddingtons cans.

The artefacts usually found in archaeological digs are mainly from ancient rubbish tips, whereas the litter that we scatter around our countryside will just show our descendants what a bunch of slobs we all were.

I've just waterproofed my Vans (canvas trainers for any who doesnt know what these are). I rubbed one of those tea-light candles all over them. Then got MrsMQs hair dryer to melt the wax all in. It works really well. I ran them under a tap to test the waterproofing out and the water just rolls off

As a "beardy" I occasionally like to look a bit smarter than normal so I looked into the purchase of a beard/moustache wax and after finding this at £61.67 per 100ml ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JGRX9HO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I decided to make my own (50:50 Beeswax and Coconut Oil) for about 1/20th of the price of the stuff above!

Back in the late 80's, Bernard Mathews advertised "We use everything but the 'quack'!" when selling their ducks. The reason I remember the advert is that my Mum used to let me play with a duck's 'quack' by removing it, attaching it to a straw with a rubber band and letting me run around the house with it. They usually lasted an evening, but after the 'quack' had dried out overnight it became useless.

After reading the @MyQui adventures with candle wax, I was also reminded that all of the fat from a goose or duck was first of all clarified and then split into three:
  1. One part was used to waterproof shoes in the winter.
  2. Another part was mixed with menthol crystals and used as a chest rub for colds.
  3. The last part was mixed with some cheap perfume and used instead of Brylcream.
Happy (and economical) days!

My Dad always put used engine oil in an oiling can for general use around the house.
Mum always kept butter wrappers in a bag in the kitchen cupboard and started off greasing baking tins with them and she'd also use them for lining the tins.
When we unwrapped the Christmas presents we had to be careful not to tear the paper so it could be used the following year.

When I was a lad, only millionaires brought creosote for their fences. The rest of us made it up from used engine oil and jays fluid.

I am not a millionaire but when we did the fences last summer we used creosote(original stuff) and used engine oil. Works a treat

Recently sat pondering the mysteries of time and space whilst stroking my beard, I found a crown cap, a Rizla paper and 2 tab ends embedded in it.
twit beard.jpg

Latest posts

Back