John Bull traditional english ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCJones87

Reaction score
Chaps and Chapesses,

Planning on sticking a couple of john bull single can kits on this weekend (stockpiling :cheers:) and looking for a little advice. I have two 500g bags of light DME - was planning to add one to each kit. I also have a selection of hops available so was thinking I could make the kits a little punchier with the addition of hops to the 2.5 litres of water used in the initial boil for each kit - does this sound sensible? or am I better off dry hopping after fermentation has died down?

Hops to choose from are:

Simcoe
Williamette
Amarillo
Summit
Challenger
Cascade

I have 100g of each hops and plan to brew each batch short to 20L to up the final ABV slightly. how much hops should I be using?

Oh - last thing - I don't intend to use the yeast with the kits - was thinking Safale S-04 or US05 - thoughts?

Chaps and Chapesses,

Planning on sticking a couple of john bull single can kits on this weekend (stockpiling :cheers:) and looking for a little advice. I have two 500g bags of light DME - was planning to add one to each kit. I also have a selection of hops available so was thinking I could make the kits a little punchier with the addition of hops to the 2.5 litres of water used in the initial boil for each kit - does this sound sensible? or am I better off dry hopping after fermentation has died down?

Hops to choose from are:

Simcoe
Williamette
Amarillo
Summit
Challenger
Cascade

I have 100g of each hops and plan to brew each batch short to 20L to up the final ABV slightly. how much hops should I be using?

Oh - last thing - I don't intend to use the yeast with the kits - was thinking Safale S-04 or US05 - thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan, i have brewed that kit several times the hops is a personal choice, but i wld go with dry hopping with Amarillo, also i would use the 05 yeast,have you done any dry hopping before

I have only ever dry hopped with pellets in my first AG attempt - an IPA I brewed up before joining this forum. it didn't turn out well in all honesty... should I just chuck in the leaf hops loose? or muslin bag them?
Any tips on quantities to use for dry hops assuming I go with Amarillo?

I have only ever dry hopped with pellets in my first AG attempt - an IPA I brewed up before joining this forum. it didn't turn out well in all honesty... should I just chuck in the leaf hops loose? or muslin bag them?
Any tips on quantities to use for dry hops assuming I go with Amarillo?

I would bag them, i would start with 20/30g til you get a idea of what you like :thumb:

Back