John Palmer talks maturation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's very similar to this interview
Here.
It's on YouTube and you can push transcription button, if you don't have enough patience, like me. 5 minutes reading a 50 minutes interview. 😁
I already said it in some posts, fermentation needs time or it will taste like "green" beer, that nonsense of X days grain to glass is what it is, nonsense.
Kveik yeast too. "3 days and it's over". No f***ing way.
Pitch rate, if you don't have a proper initial yeast count, it will only take more time to finish it or start it. Not a big deal.
My suggestion is to watch that video or listen the interview, there's a lot of information on it.

Haven't watched/read the above but things do on after the fermentation. Below is a graph of the wort temp of my latest batch. The initial bell curve is the main fermentation which took from 4am on the 8th to midday on the 9th. The second longer hump was when I upped the the brewchamber by a degree to encourage the D-rest. Its probably only just stopped 'resting'. I would normally have bottled/kegged earlier but haven't had time. It will be interesting to taste it.

Bishtoe.jpg

Nope. Ime that's rubbish too. It does affect taste.
Hi there! Not being disrespectful in anyway, I'd like to show some cases that doesn't corroborate with your point: Here, Here and Here. 3 Exbeeriments from burlosophy.

Also, I did some directly pitch in yeast cake, didn't taste any perceptible difference between it and package pitch. Only the fermentation starts earlier, like 3 hours against 12 to 24 hours from the package.

Of course, anyone could have different experiences about it. No problem at all.

Last edited:
Hi there! Not being disrespectful in anyway, I'd like to show some cases that doesn't corroborate with your point: Here, Here and Here. 3 Exbeeriments from burlosophy.

Also, I did some directly pitch in yeast cake, didn't taste any perceptible difference between it and package pitch. Only the fermentation starts earlier, like 3 hours against 12 to 24 hours from the package.

Of course, anyone could have different experiences about it. No problem at all.
Sorry for butting in Alan but it is never a good idea to dump a fresh batch onto a yeast cake. Why not harvest your yeast wash it and reuse it? Did you dry-hop into the previous brew? When you read what Brulosophy has to say take everything with a grain of salt, he is a psychologist so he knows how to manipulate readers. His blogs are all about money, not improving brewing techniques.
Leave Brulosophy to the realms of the gullible.

Sorry for butting in Alan but it is never a good idea to dump a fresh batch onto a yeast cake. Why not harvest your yeast wash it and reuse it? Did you dry-hop into the previous brew? When you read what Brulosophy has to say take everything with a grain of salt, he is a psychologist so he knows how to manipulate readers. His blogs are all about money, not improving brewing techniques.
Leave Brulosophy to the realms of the gullible.
Yes, agree with you, I don't do that anymore. I was surely overpitching that way. I read somewhere it could lead to some issues (a case of green apple taste in a craft brewery) and my batches are largers now, so no more continuous fermentation here. Hehehe. Now I harvest, but don't wash. I don't feel the urge to do it. Less manipulation is less risk of infection.

About brulosophy material, I am always more interested in the "my impression" part than the triangle test itself. A lot of guys and free beer isn't what I would call a reasonable scientific panel. They always find fruit and citrus notes in anything they drink. Also, not diving too deep in the statistical realm, the population usually is too small for a proper significant result.
A honest review from the brewer is always better and if something doesn't makes a notable difference, isn't a big deal in homebrew scale.

What I really enjoy to do is going for academical articles, specially reviews.

This is THE place

A lot of free material, since 60's. And I'm a chemist (aka nerd), so I kind like it. 😂

Last edited:
Yes, agree with you, I don't do that anymore. I was surely overpitching that way. I read somewhere it could lead to some issues (a case of green apple taste in a craft brewery) and my batches are largers now, so no more continuous fermentation here. Hehehe. Now I harvest, but don't wash. I don't feel the urge to do it. Less manipulation is less risk of infection.

About brulosophy material, I am always more interested in the "my impression" part than the triangle test itself. A lot of guys and free beer isn't what I would call a reasonable scientific panel. They always find fruit and citrus notes in anything they drink. Also, not diving too deep in the statistical realm, the population usually is too small for a proper significant result.
A honest review from the brewer is always better and if something doesn't makes a notable difference, isn't a big deal in homebrew scale.

What I really enjoy to do is going for academical articles, specially reviews.

This is THE place

A lot of free material, since 60's. And I'm a chemist (aka nerd), so I kind like it. 😂
I use that same one, and the LODO site has an excellent library.

Back