Just cant work out a Hyd

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynes World

Reaction score
One thing i have never been able to work out is a Hydrometre, i have been looking at it aagain as i would like to know now what the ABV is of my brew.
This is a pic of my reading now with temps at 16 degc,

It is reading 56 so in the middle of the blue and red section.

Now do i wait unitll it drops down to get to the 1.0 and bottle ?, it says on the hydrometre bottle at the 1.0 mark.

sorry but it doing my head in as all i read about is 900 or 960 etc

cheers

wolly

Try turning the flash off next time.

Hydrometers are really dead simple to use. Put a sample in the trial jar, spin the hydro, get a reading, record the result and compare it to what you had before. Not exactly rocket science. Try looking at this or just googling around.

Btw, when people say 996 or 990 they mean 0.996, sometimes it will go a little below the 1.000 mark.

If it's still not clear then just ask a specific question. Good luck.

jkp said:
Try turning the flash off next time.

Hydrometers are really dead simple to use. Put a sample in the trial jar, spin the hydro, get a reading, record the result and compare it to what you had before. Not exactly rocket science. Try looking at this or just googling around.

Btw, when people say 996 or 990 they mean 0.996, sometimes it will go a little below the 1.000 mark.

If it's still not clear then just ask a specific question. Good luck.

Nothing in our life is rocket science is it.

I did spin off aswell, the pics was when i dropped it back in to take a pic and it didnt differ all that much really if anything.

so the reading i have is 0.56 ?

If you want to know the ABV then you need the original gravity before fermentation (O.G) and the final gravity after fermentation (S.G) then plug them into the forum calculator (top left of the page).

It depends on what you are brewing but it's unlikely a beer will get to 1.000, somewhere between 1.006-1.014 would be more normal :thumb:

You've posted in the beer section so I'm assuming it is a beer and not a wine, in which case it's unlikely to drop as far as 1.000.
Generally you can bottle when the fermentation has stopped, when the hydrometer reading doesn't change for a few days. Somewhere between 1.006 and 1.014 is fairly normal for a beer.
Give it at least 2 weeks in the fermenter.
The reading you have now is 1.056.
Water should read 1.000. A higher reading means the liquid is more dense than water, due to dissolved sugar. A lower reading means less dense than water, caused by high alcohol content generally.

Waynes World said:
so the reading i have is 0.56 ?
It will most likely be 1.056, but it's hard to see from your picture.

What are you brewing and at what stage are you at.

1.056 suggests a beer, just starting out but you pic looks like fermented beer?

Thanks Steve, now i see, the 56 is 1.056, not 1.56, oh and i didnt realise either i was n the beer section lol, i am brewing Cider lol. i was getting that cheesed of i just posted.

Thanks Steve, that has cleared it up :thumb:

Latest posts

Back