Just ordered my DE razor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they are quite light weight but a cheaply made so not long lasting. The issue with lightweight is that you should let the razor do the work rather than pressing it to the face, whoever with a lightweight razor you have to apply some pressure which is what the problem is.

I would probably go with a Wilkinson Sword Classic in preference as they have some metal in to increase the weight but better still an Edwin Jagger will last a life time.

The most important thing though is to use a shaving brush and some kind of shaving soap or cream as that will give slickness and a cushion which is vastly better than canned foam and gel.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm thank you for that i had already ordered the cheap one (just to see what its like) but will get a better one.

In fact i will see if i can talk SWMBO into buying me one for xmas or b'day lol

Dave

so you orrible lot

in less than a week you made me get a

wilkinson classic ( only one boots had )
Merkur 23c Long Handle Classic
derby blades and wilkinson blades
sandalwood taylors of old bond street

must say very nice 5th shave and looking good, few lumps from first few attempts but need to perfect my style and blades etc

now any pre shave oils you recommend?

well personally I don't recommend pre-shave oil just get into your brush and IMO don't do a lot. There that's save you some money now what brush do you have and have you considered a Simpson Chubby 2 :tongue:

I don't recommend pre shave oil either. Just prep with a hot shower or hot flannel, then get a decent lather well worked in with a decent brush. Google New Forest shaving brushes, can't go wrong there.

Remember to use absolutely no pressure. Have a look on YouTube for Mantic59, he does some good tutorials of you need any pointers.

Managed to pick up the classic DE from boots (finally). Looking forward to learning how not to hack my face to bits.

Where is the best place to get a selection of blades to try?

Well, just hadd my first DE shave in over 30 years. I've still got a face :D so that's all good then.

My eBay bargain is looking like just that, the Derby blade I chose for my first shave is a really nice tight fit over the central pillar (it drops on and off, but no 'wobble' once on) and the butterfly mechanism opens and closes nice and smooth. The razor arrived with the mechanism just slightly loose, so I'm guessing the previous owner might know a little bit about looking after them. To be honest it's in better nick than the photos showed it to be, very much the dead ringer for the razor my Dad was using when I started to experiment with shaving.

Having throughly enjoyed my first attempt I'm now watching a Gillette slim adjustable made in the same year I was born, if I land that I'll be a happy bunny, well, until I want a better brush (Wilkinsons £3.20 from Asda currently), better soap, better razor storage, better aftershave balm etc....

Considering how much you lot cost me when I got into brewing I'm locking up my credit cards for the next couple of months until I get this 'proper shaving' lark under control :D

TRXnMe said:
Considering how much you lot cost me when I got into brewing I'm locking up my credit cards for the next couple of months until I get this 'proper shaving' lark under control :D

tell me about it
seems this lot are worse than the missus at spending my money

Titch said:
TRXnMe said:

tell me about it
seems this lot are worse than the missus at spending my money

And, the irony is that both 'hobbies' are supposed to save me money!!

I've managed to avoid getting into cheese making so far, but even that is coming back under review.

I'm loving his thread, so much so, I might invest in a decent safety razor.
Really, there's only one thing i'd like to ask, and that is does any one here shave
all their head with one?

oldstunty said:
Really, there's only one thing i'd like to ask, and that is does any one here shave
all their head with one?

I have been thinking the same thing. I only shave the front of my head but not sure I'm brave enough to try a DE razor on there yet

oldstunty said:
all their head with one?

This looks like it's going cheap.

These are plastic handled versions of the Super Speed razors that Gillette owners seem quite partial to, I got one very similar for well under a tenner including postage and it works fine, the Gillette heads seem to be quite robust :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291000934737? ... 1438.l2649

TRXnMe said:
oldstunty said:
all their head with one?

This looks like it's going cheap.

These are plastic handled versions of the Super Speed razors that Gillette owners seem quite partial to, I got one very similar for well under a tenner including postage and it works fine, the Gillette heads seem to be quite robust :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291000934737? ... 1438.l2649[/quot
Cheers :cheers: for that price, i'll give it a go. Shaving all over my head, with a safety razor, what's the worse that could happen :wha:

I see it went for a huge £6.28 plus postage, did you get it at that?

If you didn't get it then search for "gillette tto" and look for other plastic handled razors, I've seen around a half dozen of those sell for under £5 over the last month or so.

From what I'm hearing on the shaving room (my latest addiction support group) they are a good razor and for some odd reason not highly desired, unlike Gillette Techs, Fat Boys and Slims which will easily fetch £50 plus postage in good used condition :shock:

I've seen Fat Boys for well over £100 if they have the original box, one went for £175 only recently, but that was marked as never used and had all the original paperwork, guarantee etc in the box.

There are a few other decent makes listed currently running for under a fiver, including an edwin jagger, supposed to be one of the ultimate starter razors.

Just had my first DE shave and I'm still alive.

It's only the neck as I have a beard but had the same bits of blood spots as with any other razor. Hope this will get better in time.

This experience has tempted me to shave a bit more of the beard off though

TRXnMe said:
I see it went for a huge £6.28 plus postage, did you get it at that?

If you didn't get it then search for "gillette tto" and look for other plastic handled razors, I've seen around a half dozen of those sell for under £5 over the last month or so.

From what I'm hearing on the shaving room (my latest addiction support group) they are a good razor and for some odd reason not highly desired, unlike Gillette Techs, Fat Boys and Slims which will easily fetch £50 plus postage in good used condition :shock:

I've seen Fat Boys for well over £100 if they have the original box, one went for £175 only recently, but that was marked as never used and had all the original paperwork, guarantee etc in the box.

There are a few other decent makes listed currently running for under a fiver, including an edwin jagger, supposed to be one of the ultimate starter razors.

Missed the bugger, got dragged out by my keeper and forgot all about it.
Still, thanks for the tips on what to look, will no doubt help in future searches.

Best tip I read recently which has reduced nicks and cuts etc is "let the weight of the razor do the work"
Which is why the Edwn Jagger feels so weighty I guess!

Latest posts

Back