Just ordered my DE razor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finding that the lather makes one heck of a difference, I'd managed to be gentle with the razor (fear of carving my face off might have helped :) ) but was having a less than brilliant experience, but since I sorted out the lather I've been enjoying my shave for the first time, well, ever, really.

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome is like im thinking of getting one

Dave

nook6 said:
Hi

Can anyone tell me what the Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome is like im thinking of getting one

Dave

Supposed to be one of the best 'starter'* razors about, many people have the same view as Jeltz on the shaving forums :)

From what I've read it's also a popular 'daily driver' where many more 'agressive' razors are saved for occasional shaving razors like the 89 seem to get used a lot :)

Not tried one, but I'm tempted, although my Gillette TTO is still floating my personal boat :)

Thank you very much for replies.

After reading them i think i may well go for it.

I do have one of the cheap safety razors havent tried it yet though i have been looking for some cheap soap and a brush lol

Couldnt find anything in the local town lol

Dave

nook6 said:
Thank you very much for replies.

After reading them i think i may well go for it.

I do have one of the cheap safety razors havent tried it yet though i have been looking for some cheap soap and a brush lol

Couldnt find anything in the local town lol

Dave

Asda sell a Wilkinson Sword 'Best Bristle' brush for around £3.00, if your local oneis a decent size they'll have them :)

You won't find much cheaper shaving soap than this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/handmade-mens ... 4acb74555a

I don't know if it's any good yet, but I've got a block in the batroom waiting to be tested :)

Okay, so you've convinced me!

I've decided on the Edwin Jagger DE89L, but which blades? I like the sound of the Personna ones, but Derby seems a common choice for beginners... Secondly, cream or soap? And which one?? And completely lost on brushes!

Help!

Dennis

Choices, choices. I have PM'd you about blades, a selection pack is a good choice as it lets you try a few different types. Everyone has different faces and different blades suit.

Cream or soap is a difficult one, I use both depending on mood. One of the best soaps for little money is Palmolive, it comes in a stick in most supermarkets and costs about 50p, for cream you could try Ingram, you can get it in superdrug. Beyond that there are loads of options, if you start with Taylor's of Old Bond Street you won't go wrong.

Brushes are difficult, different people like different things. For soap you need a better backbone than you do for cream. Personally I would opt for a brush from New Forest brushes, great value for money.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/

The brushes from this Chinese ebay shop are generally regarded as good value for money. The handles are cheap and cheerful moulded ones rather than turned ones you get on higher end brushes but the business end tends to be pretty decent.

I use one of their synthetic ones most of the time and find it very good, in fact synthetic brushes have come on a long way in the last few years and are almost as good as badger now. Personally I doubt I'll buy another badger brush as I've always been a little uncomfortable with the reputation of the Chinese fur trade, where all the badger hair comes from these days, and although none of my synthetics are quite as good as my Simpson brush they are good enough for me, dry quickly and don't require soaking.

£130 lighter I've picked up a Kent shaving brush and some premium sandalwood shaving soap. (Drunken purchase)

Good lord, it's so nice. Beats the hell out of a boar brush and cheap soap.

Also got an alum block, loving that, my skin was so damn soft after.

Ouch!!

Write out "I must not go on line while under the influence of my own wares" 10 times there new boy :)

I stopped myself using eBay after ale following a few drunken puchases that left me with a £200 quid credit card bill and stuff I was never going to actually use :(

If anyone else is interested there are two razor on eBay finishing in the next several hours, both currenlty look tobe good value for money, one of looks to be a Gilllette 'Black Beauty' adjustable, If I hadn't just got a Gillette slim adjustable from my birth year I'd be seriously competeing for it. The other looks like a superspeed, but is listed simply as a gillette safety razor, currently at £8 with no interest :)

If anyone is interested I'll put links up :)

Aye, but I'm pretty positive that folk on there will be interested, on here less sure :)

That black one has me really upset, if it had been a 1964 I'd have had it for sure and facced the wrath of my wife.

Do you know what the other is? I suspect it's a super speed, but I really don't know enough to be sure.

Linkis for the curious, I probably ought to have put them up in the last post, but I'm a lazy beggar :)

Black beauty?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171159800926? ... 1423.l2649

Random Gillette TTO
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171159420929? ... 1423.l2649

Runwell-Steve said:
Choices, choices. I have PM'd you about blades, a selection pack is a good choice as it lets you try a few different types. Everyone has different faces and different blades suit.

Cheers, think I'll try one of these.

Also, think I'll start with cream. I've used cream before, so keeping it simple. Also going to start with the cheapo Body Shop brush I already have. The one I fancy is this one:

Brush

It's so pretty - and I'd even be happy with the synthetic hair version! But looking at those New Forest ones - look to be good value too!

I think this is the start of a new obsession...

Dennis

PS: I have quite sensitive skin - any advice with regards to this?

Some people do have reactions to certain chemicals but if you have 2 products from the same manufacturer and one says for sensitive skin it will vastly out sell the "normal" version so Sensitive skin is really "normal".

Badger and the current version of synthetic brushes tends to be less scritchy than boar and there are varying grade of badger hair from pure to best to silver tip although different manufactures will vary.

Any good quality badger or synthetic brush will be fine for sensitive skin, its the soaps and creams which might contain a substance that you are sensitive to which are more of a issue.

The Muhle brushes have a good reputation, if you like it I'm sure it will perform admirably.

What do you use for shaving soap now? Assuming your face is happy with that, and it's not foam in a can, then keep using it for now. You can use shave gel with a brush, just put the gel ont the head of the brush and work up a lather in the palm of your hand.

Getting a really good layer of foam on your face does seem to be the trick for a comfortable shave :)

my lather is getting better
and my shave with it

its all in the wrist action .... oooeeerrrr missus

TRXnMe said:
What do you use for shaving soap now? Assuming your face is happy with that, and it's not foam in a can, then keep using it for now. You can use shave gel with a brush, just put the gel ont the head of the brush and work up a lather in the palm of your hand.

Getting a really good layer of foam on your face does seem to be the trick for a comfortable shave :)

Makes a lot of sense - I'll stick with what I'm currently using for now.

Dennis

Back