Just ordered my DE razor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep nicking my Adam's apple any advice?

At the moment I'm just doing 2 passes with the grain and getting my skin up to shaving a lot more often than normal.

Hi all

Just ordered my DE89 chrome now to wait till its delivered to try it. lol

Dave

Will12283 said:

At the moment I'm just doing 2 passes with the grain and getting my skin up to shaving a lot more often than normal.
Try pulling the skin to one side, if you have a block of alum then dabbing your fingers on it will give more grip when trying to pull the skin across.

Honestly never thought about the adams apple being a problem myself.

I had a lot of problems around my mouth, my best advice is to get close to the mirror and really examine what you're doing with the razor in terms of grip, angle and stroke. Go slow with it and adjust accordingly.

Will12283 said:

More lather can help, although not if it stopd you seeing when the blade gets to the protrusion.

Other than that ^^ the other advice is good, shaving with a DE razor is definitely a two handed pass time, you have to pull your skin taught if it's saggy, or move it if it's over a sticky out bit :)

Still loving it, and received my latest aquisition today, a Gillette Slim Twist from the year and quarter of my birth :) It's ruddy heavy compared to the Gillette Slim I've been using the past few weeks, but satisfyingly so, feels superbly made like it's going to outlast me. I'll be havving my first shave with it on Saturday, when I've got the time to learn how it handles and try different blades to seee what suits it.

For those having problems shaving.......................................

grow a beard... :oops:

just bought some Wasser 4711 from TK maxx

very nice

Christmas present is bought a New Forest Brush and a skuttle. hidden from me till the big day

It still astounds me that they call them 'safety' razors i used a mach 3 for years and it was only because my brother switched to DE razors and kept extolling their virtue every time i saw him that i decided to give it a go. About 6 months in and i still can't get a shave as close as the mach 3 and i still cut myself almost every time but i do love shaving now, before it was a chore now it's an experience and a pleasurable one at that! I use the merkur 1904 and my only complaint is the handles a little short, paired with a Edwin jagger badger brush and tailors of old bond street sandalwood cream i'm almost happy i just need to try some different blades to find one i really like. I've tried derby and found them to be just short of useless, merkurs own were just as bad the gillette 7 o'clock are not bad for the price but i'm going to try a few more out yet and see what happens. The one thing that i won't do without and found to be a superb product is Nivea aftershave balm for the price it is wonderful stuff having tried more expensive balms i would not change now but i also think most of the Nivea for men range is pretty damn good.

Well they were called safety razors as, compared with open (cut throat) razors they were safer. However I've cut myself much worse with safety razors than I ever have with an open razor.

Any tips for growing and keeping a short length of stubble? My beard trimmer doesn't get close enough, and obviously DE shaving leaves me pretty smooth.

Jeltz said:
Well they were called safety razors as, compared with open (cut throat) razors they were safer. However I've cut myself much worse with safety razors than I ever have with an open razor.
To be fair I'm betting you're more careful with the cut throat than the safety razor though

No not really the blade isn't quite so sharp (or thin really) so it doesn't "punish" mistakes quite so badly.

It takes a bit of time to not fear the blade but its quite normal to me now I've been using them since 2010, not all the time but at least once a week. I don't use them in the shower though, wouldn't want to drop one while naked. :eek:

The Goatreich said:
Any tips for growing and keeping a short length of stubble? My beard trimmer doesn't get close enough, and obviously DE shaving leaves me pretty smooth.

Gillette adjustable set to level 1.

I've got a mildly knackered slim adjustable you can borrow to try out if you don't believe me :) I intend to strip and rebuild it as it's generally very good quality apart from a bit of slack on position 6.

I tried my own slim adjustable on pos 1 and it barely touched two day's growth with a Derby blade in it.

chojo said:
It still astounds me that they call them 'safety' razors i used a mach 3 for years and it was only because my brother switched to DE razors and kept extolling their virtue every time i saw him that i decided to give it a go. About 6 months in and i still can't get a shave as close as the mach 3 and i still cut myself almost every time but i do love shaving now, before it was a chore now it's an experience and a pleasurable one at that! I use the merkur 1904 and my only complaint is the handles a little short, paired with a Edwin jagger badger brush and tailors of old bond street sandalwood cream i'm almost happy i just need to try some different blades to find one i really like. I've tried derby and found them to be just short of useless, merkurs own were just as bad the gillette 7 o'clock are not bad for the price but i'm going to try a few more out yet and see what happens. The one thing that i won't do without and found to be a superb product is Nivea aftershave balm for the price it is wonderful stuff having tried more expensive balms i would not change now but i also think most of the Nivea for men range is pretty damn good.

Every face has a diffferent reaction to a blade & razor combination.

I've been using mach 3 for years and thought they were "as good as a man can get", I now use a 48 year old Gillette adjustable razor with blades that cost me pennies a week and truly enjoy shaving, a chore I put up with so as not to look 'scruffy' before this.

My first DE was a Gillette slim twist, using Derby blades, it gave me a damn fine shave and didn't cut me too much, I then got the slim adjustable from my birth year and quarter, it made the Derbys stupidly tame so they are reconciled to the store cupboard, but it works well with other blades that are slightly more aggressive (the Derbys are OK, ish, as long as I run the Slim on position 7 of 9)

Get a selection pack of blades, try them all out, I'd be surprised if you don't find a good DE mix for your face :)

I just spent 2 days away using a Mach 3, it was horrible, I'm back and using a DE and loving shaving again, wierd aint I? :)

Once you go down the DE route or even better a straight razor you wont go back to the Mach 3, 4, 5 (what ever number it is now).

I went straigt into the deep end with an SR and only experienced a DE a good few months later. They are great, dependable and give a mighty good shave.

For anyone following this thread thinking about purchasong a DE/SR go for it... you wont turn back.

I'm astounded by the name safety razor because it gives the impression that you can use them without fear of cutting yourself where as I believe that straight edge blades were actually safer because you tend to have more respect for them. As a chef for over twenty years I truly appreciate a sharp well maintained blade and I believe any blade near your skin demands equal respect especially your throat! As I said I truly enjoy shaving now because I take the time to do each stage properly compared to the years with a Mach 3 when I was just going through the motions and that's why I think I still cut myself regularly because sometimes I forget and start using the DE like the Mach 3 and I for one don't think you can do that safely it's a learning curve that I look forward to continuing in the future. If there's one thing I have learned is you must always keep your homebrew at least eight hours apart from your shaving!!

Latest posts

Back