Just Some No Chill Observations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
There have been threads on this and I know a couple of respected forumites use no chill but these are just some quick observations of my own.

I normally brew in a Klarstein boiler and then do a major whirlpool at the end using a big homemade paddle and a battery drill. When I siphon into the fv I have had problems with the narrow tap on the Klarstein blocking so I usually siphon from the top.

Not having brewed for a few months, swapped house, girlfriend and job, I got the urge on the weekend. Everything took forever as I couldn’t find where I was storing stuff so at the end of the boil I put some clingfilm over the Klarstein and went for a couple of beers.

When I checked four or five hours later it was down to 70 deg, I left it overnight before siphoning the next morning. Surprisingly at 9:30 it was still at 31 deg.

Checking that the fermentation had started in early afternoon I also noticed that the amount of trub was substantially less than my usual method. At a guess I would say a third or less.

I tend to use overbuilt starters so I wasn’t too concerned about infections but as I say just some observations.

Latest posts

Back