just tasted my 1st brew 4 days after pitching yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made a Bass Draught from the Graham Wheeler book, consists of 3460g pale malt, 180g Crystal malt and 25g of challenger hops. I used nottingham yeast and it has reached its FG of 1010 from 1044.

I tasted a sample when i measured the gravity and it tasted very malty. is this because of the receipe of have i dont something wrong, cant really taste and alcohol at all really.

I know it will get better the longer i leave it, i plan on leaving it for about 1 week in the garage to condition and then will be bottling it to condition further.

That is some VERY young beer there so it's not at all what it will taste like given some time. Also, with an OG of .044 you won't really taste much alcohol. It will be subtle. I see you added 25g of Challenger so I'm assuming that's just for bittering. Not much left to taste other than the malt and whatever the yeast contributes. Give it some time and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. :thumb:

-Baz

I am going to be leaving it for a while yet, want to get a stock of brew so when I do start drinking it, I will have a load that is matured. :) might even mean a brew a week or every fortnight :)

Hob goblin clone next :)

phettebs said:
That sounds like a great plan! Nothing breeds patience like a well stocked beer inventory!
This ^

I'm doing three brews a month and drinking two. My stockpile of bottled ales is growing nicely :D

It'll need time for the **** to drop to the bottom, best giving it 10-14days in the FV

I always have a cheeky sip when bottling/kegging and its surprising how beers change for the better with age and with a bit of carbonation

A cheeky sip?! That's where I've been going wrong. I had 2 pints out of mine when I was bottling! :drink: :lol:

Back