Keeping Sterile the Easy Way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smndvy

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the more experienced members could share their tips on sterilizing.

I find it a drag to have to sterilise my hydrometer, thermometer etc. There must be an easy way, maybe storing them in a container full of sterilising fluid - how long is this good for?

I put my first brew together and although I thought I was well organised I found that I wanted to put something down with a view to re-use it but had nowhere sterile to put it.

I had sterilised the draining-board, but after putting my spoon down, and my theremometer and hydrometer a couple of times the surface looked crappy - I'm sure it was still sterile, but it just looked wrong.

Maybe next time I'll have a bucket of sterilising fluid into which I can put my gear when I'm not using it and it will be ready for the next time I want it.

Any tips on the process on how best to avoid contamination greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't exactly classify myself as experienced but I thought I'd share what I do...

I use a tupperware pot large enough to hold a trial jar and hydrometer and keep them stored in that in sterilising solution for a couple of weeks at a time - only need to rinse after that (although I've just got hold of some videne so won't bother in the future...)

On brewdays I use the lid of that pot upside down to put things on (sterilised first of course) and haven't had any problems yet. Also a sterilised bucket (just a b&q cheapy) is good to put stuff in. It does take a lot of thought I find - not to just put things down on the worktop!

Hope that helps!

GK

When i'm brewing I make up a 2litre solution of videne in a large jug and that sterilizes everything for me, spoons bottles the lot.

I drop 10ml of starsan in a 5L bottle of tesco ashbeck water, this is poured into things and swirled around to sanitise. I also have some in a spray bottle. It's no rinse and works in about 10 seconds!

+1 for the star San. I use 7.5 ml in 5 l of water. It's fantastic stuff and I recommend it to anyone. It's reusable again and again.
So I star San a large 5 l jug and keep everything that will touch my beer in that.
I do think that some folk go overboard with it all. It is a very important part of brewing don't get me wrong but i personally have made every mistake possible and never had a infected batch. ;) or I could just be bloody lucky :D

I use 2 litres of videne solution in a 5 litre bucket and in a spray bottle. contact sanitizer that does not need rinsing. Star san is better or so I am told but videne is cheaper.

I use Videne in a spray bottle or put some in the bottom of a fermenting bucket and drop my utensils in that and then swirl around. Clean with boiling water and some Whizz from Tesco. Get the water from the Boiler/HLT as i will clean the elements with some more whizz.

On a brew day I rinse things like the hydrometer under the tap after each use then, set aside in a clean tub then dip in Videne solution at 1.25ml per litre just before I use again.

No question, keeping everything as clean as it needs be is a pain. I only worry about it after the boil. Any equipment used including the hydrometer are just rinsed clean under the tap during the mash etc as the boiling will kill all bugs.

Latest posts

Back