Keg filling question please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I've not used my kegs at all properly yet - going to keg something at the weekend though, and thought I would check some details with you all. Will be pressure transferring, not syphoning.

Now I know the kegs hold 19L, but is that to the brim, and should I fill to 18L or so? My bathroom scales are useless as they're not 'add & weigh' if you know what I mean; they just turn themselves off after a few seconds.

Even though I have bought check valves for the three gas lines on my kegerator, I still would like a rough idea of when to stop filling. This is part of the reason I didn't want kegs at first, and was happier with clear ones.

I thought about plaato keg thingies but they probably wouldn't fit inside the kegerator. :confused:

I normally do closed transfer from SS brewbucket but occassionally do pressure transfer from a snub nose. Whichever I use I have the fermentor on the worktop and keg on the floor, beer out connected fermentor to keg, CO2 connected together and let gravity transfer the beer. If you cold crashed you will see a condensation line move up the keg which gives a good indication, then I stop when beer starts moving up the CO2 line. I disconnect everything then connect a tap to the keg beer out and CO2 to keg inlet and pull off about half a pint to ensure no more beer can come up the CO2 line and into the regulator. Set to serving pressure and leave in the fridge for few weeks/months until I move it to my keezer.

I also cut the CO2 dip tubes so the keg will be filled to the top - the half pint I pulled off.

Just watched a video and someone in the comments said if there's no headspace in the keg after filling, you can't carbonate. Is this right?

How high do these flow-stoppers fill to? I'm assuming until the liquid touches the small metal piece that hangs down under the keg post (inside the keg)

I guess I'll find out soon as I've just bought one for £19.90 including delivery. Bit steep but better than waiting for a month with AliExpress.

Last edited:
Just watched a video and someone in the comments said if there's no headspace in the keg after filling, you can't carbonate. Is this right?
It would still carbonate but very slowly. Its only about surface area (assuming you leave the CO2 connected when carbonating) so doesnt matter if you have 100ml or 3L headspace it will still carbonate at the same rate as the surface area at the top of the beer is the same and any CO2 absorbed is immediately replaced from the cylinder.

I do closed loop transfer to the brim - ie, it starts to come back up the gas line.

I pre pressurise to 12 psi and have the same serving pressure in the Keg. No idea how much that is beer wise though.

I do the same as above kind of, and leave the prv open and once I see liquid come out I pull off the transfer line. I figure it's completely full then.

Hi, oh as usual with the medic here .... it depends.

If you transfer after cold crashing you can see the fill level by the rising line of condensation - not exactly scientific but works for me.
For completely closed transfers this is the indication I use, the condensation line is an excellent indicator of the fill, I'll go to a bit over the maximum I can see on the maximum condensation line.

How high do these flow-stoppers fill to? I'm assuming until the liquid touches the small metal piece that hangs down under the keg post (inside the keg)

I guess I'll find out soon as I've just bought one for £19.90 including delivery. Bit steep but better than waiting for a month with AliExpress.
Nope, no problems carbonating if there's no headspace, in fact it can make force carbonating easier. Theoretically the reduced surface area for absorption of CO2 with no head space could slow carbonation but in practical terms it's not an issue.

For open filling I fill the keg first with CO2 from the beer dip tube, ie bottom up - the grey line pushed and held onto the beer in will do - 30 secs is ample. then fill to the absolute brim. That way oxidation is utterly minimised. This is my preferred way of filling a keg and will fit 20 or more litres in a keg easily. Oxidation is minimised but you do need to make sure when connecting the gas line that it's on a non return and pressurised circuit - which can either be with fancy non return disconnects or a manifold with built in non return.

Latest posts

Back