Kegerator Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today, progress has been made. I actually got round to the first day of kegerator build.

Temperature controller arrived, fiddled around with a Tupperware box I found as my local Maplin doesn't stock any reasonable size enclosures. The controller was a pain to install, not the usual one that is one ebay. This one has NO wiring instructions found a PDF on the company's website and used bablefish to translate it in to Engrish. Painful process but worth not breaking my fridge or getting in trouble with SWMBO.

5902454774_a5e885593c.jpg

I managed to get a 'used' dalex flow control tap for £2.50 so I decided to put off the stainless steel for now.. but I couldn't resist the shiny totally.... so I was having a drip tray. It is held up with a standard shelf bracket held in place with a strong magnet in the drip tray dish which keeps it stable enough to hold full pint yet easy enough (only just) to remove for emptying.

5902451802_eda6dd874c.jpg

While I have been waiting for my bits for the fridge I have built a board to hold my regulator and gas bottle in place. I managed to get a half full bottle for free from my gas driver at the pub. Two CK's and norms wonderful 3way reg in action! I have held the bottle in place with a fabric belt (from some tesco jeans). I don't want my bottle falling over pulling off the reg and denting my lovely A grade kegs... and then knocking over my FV!! ARggh.. So its all nicely boarded up and screwed in to the wall for now. Will be painted and the board will be attached to the side of the keger. For the moment I am just carbonating a brupac Lager @10psi and waiting to fill the other.

5901895373_c9f59b51ab.jpg
[/url]

Fridge ready for kegs and gas lines!

5902453282_a61f56fd0e_m.jpg

For now I've got this to get thru!

5901896741_5f6a8bda60.jpg

More updates to come.. Including a paint job, second tab & drip tray, stainless splash back (for shiny.. :grin: ).. and then drinking!

D

I am just starting mine as well. Got a freezer from freecycle, but it has shelves in it that look like you can't take them out... Will investigate, but likely to put it back onto freecycle and get a fridge!

Good luck with the rest of the build!

StubbsPKS said:
I am just starting mine as well. Got a freezer from freecycle, but it has shelves in it that look like you can't take them out... Will investigate, but likely to put it back onto freecycle and get a fridge!

That's what mine is like. Its a fridge freezer and the freezer below has the cooling elements built into the shelves. Not worth messing around with. But They make good grain/hop stores.

At the moment if I run my fridge at 10C the freezer stays about -20

Nice one!!

I really want to go down the kegarator route, but don't have room for a fridge in my current place... :hmm:

Hello!

SWMBO loves the idea! 'Now there wont be bottles all over the house. :nono: .' 'and you can stop bringing them back from work :nono: ' '... your alwasy filling the bath with empty bottles. :nono: ..' etc... :nono: . etc.... :nono:

What she doesnt know is that I still am collecting bottles but they are hidden in the brewery (cellar)... AND I get draught beer aswell... Win! :cool: :cool:

Darcey said:
StubbsPKS said:

That's what mine is like. Its a fridge freezer and the freezer below has the cooling elements built into the shelves. Not worth messing around with. But They make good grain/hop stores.

At the moment if I run my fridge at 10C the freezer stays about -20

Sadly mine is JUST a freezer :oops:

What sort of fridge should I be looking for to convert to kegerator?

I've got room in the kitchen for another upright fridge/freezer but don't know what to go for?

I'm on a fairly small budget :thumb:

Free ones seem to be the best option. Get your self on freecycle. I am lucky that my fridge freezer has the fridge part at the top so no bending down to get my pint.

Darcey said:
Free ones seem to be the best option. Get your self on freecycle. I am lucky that my fridge freezer has the fridge part at the top so no bending down to get my pint.

Yeah I'm all hooked up to freecycle, I was just wondering if a particualr type lended itself to a kegerator more than another?

:thumb:

Ideally you want a larder fridge, i.e. one without the little freezer compartment at the top, as these require less modifications. You need a full size undercounter one though, 60 cm wide in order to fit 2 cornies in, if your lucky you may be able to fit 3 in, I can in my bosch one.

If you are really lucky, like me, you will be able to find a tall larder fridge which you can fit 4 cornies in, plus a few bottles and the gas bottle.

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0464.jpg

Me again,

Swmbo has agreed I can have a kegerator as there is room in the kitchen for another free stander.

Only condition is that it's a fridge freezer so we have the added bonus of a little more freezer space.

There's an abundance of stuff on either Fri ads or Ebay but my questions are,,,,,,

Will a couple of cornies/gas fit in the fridge space of most combined fridge/freezers or am I going to have to contact every possible seller and ask them to measure the fridge space?

I can never tell from a photo how big a corny actually is :wha:

I will be going for fridge top, freezer bottom.

Many Thanks :cheers:

You have to be very careful if you are planning on getting a fridge freezer.

1. it will need to be a reasonable size one for a corny to fit. I have one that I can fit 4 in if I wanted to, but it is a big beast.

2. This is the most important bit, if you plan to use the freezer you must get a fridge freezer where you can independently control the temperature of the fridge and freezer, they are not that common, especially on the older fridges. If you don't get one like that by overriding the thermostat on the fridge and running it a 12 degreees centigrade you will find the freezer will run too warm to be safely used for food.

You may be better off getting an undercounter fridge and an undercounter freezer and stading one on top of the other.

Cornies are 23" tall and 9" in diameter so any fridge with 30" head space will fit cornies allowing for pipes etc and they weigh around 12lbs empty so 19ltr = 19kg + 6ish for empty so 25kg full - ish - just in case you need beefed up shelving etc :thumb:

I ended up going for an under counter larder fridge. It's great because it has no stupid freezer compartment to get in the way!

It's been working well for me so far as a fermentation chamber, but I can't WAIT to get some kegs in and start using it to dispense :)

Latest posts

Back