Ken Shales recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoomWithABrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi my copy of brewing better beers is back in NZ.
I've dug out a couple of bottles of Yuletide ale from back of garage I brewed on birth of my son in 1995.
Going to see what they are like but wanted the recipe for a label.
Can anyone who's got this post a picture of the page with yuletide recipe.

It's quite a contrast from a recent all grain Thomas hardy ale clone I made.

Would be very grateful if anyone can help though.

I've dug out a couple of bottles of Yuletide ale from back of garage I brewed on birth of my son in 1995.

Don't know if this is any help. It's from Shales "Advanced Home Brewing" I haven't got the earlier work. Don't know if the mark III is a tweak or a rethink, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_140330.jpg
    IMG_20221223_140330.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
That's going to be good enough if nothing else turns up, thank you.

It's a bit more complicated than Yuletide and Yuletide II in his first book.

But still as most of those recipes in the book most of the alcohol is from sugar.

This might be a long shot but........

Over on Jim's forum, a member called minesapint (he's the opening poster) commented about regularly making Ken's Yuletide ale. The thread below is really old but if you pm him he may have a record of the recipe somewhere. His account is still active by the way.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57095
Hope it's a help

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
The book is available 2nd hand should you be interested?
Not sure which specific edition you need for the recipe but there's a choice on the link below

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780900841064/Brewing-Better-Beers-Shales-Ken-0900841060/plp
Cheers Tom
Thanks @soupdragon
I've got a first edition signed at home in NZ ( my grandfather brewed with Ken in Basildon pre legalisation in 1963).

I'm in UK on holiday for a few weeks and forgot about this beer in the garage until I got here.

I'll message that guy on Jims forum, a few members have the book on the forum, I think including @peebee but it's a busy time of year so it might not get seen for a while.

Despite being up to my ears in Xmas decorations trying to hang them on a tree ... I have seen your post!

I have got the book!

Next question: Where is it? That won't happen in a hurry!

Further observations:

You are in the UK at Christmas. Your home is in NZ currently in the height of Summer. Therefore ... you are bonkers!

Thanks @soupdragon
I've got a first edition signed at home in NZ ( my grandfather brewed with Ken in Basildon pre legalisation in 1963).

I'm in UK on holiday for a few weeks and forgot about this beer in the garage until I got here.

I'll message that guy on Jims forum, a few members have the book on the forum, I think including @peebee but it's a busy time of year so it might not get seen for a while.
Could you not get someone back in New Zealand to take a picture and email/WhatsApp it to you? Or is your copy also in a "safe place"?

Cheers Tom

Mine is actually on the side table in the sitting room as it had been returned to me after I'd lent it to someone in the homebrew club. No house sitter to get picture. The Yuletide III recipe must be fairly similar.
As the books such a rarity it's worth keeping in a safe!!
Yes fairly mad to leave Summer to come to wet winter of strikes and supply shortages. But family are here and so was the beer!
Plus adding injury to insult I managed to catch Dengue fever on my 24 hour stop off in Singapore, so now covered in a rash!

Plus adding injury to insult I managed to catch Dengue fever on my 24 hour stop off in Singapore ...
I've had that "Dengue Fever". It's awful. Cost me a fortune getting the emergency plumber out ...

Err ... rash? ... I'm not thinking of the same thing, am I?

I've had that "Dengue Fever". It's awful. Cost me a fortune getting the emergency plumber out ...

Err ... rash? ... I'm not thinking of the same thing, am I?
I think you can get quite sick if you get it bad, most who get it are mild symptoms so I've been lucky.

Wife with the Flu is much worse.

This is from my yellowed first edition. ...
Wow ... what a blast from the past! Wasn't it that book that had the "Cock Ale" recipe in it? I remember that recipe in my "shed" with a bottle of cheap sweet white wine added (couldn't find any "Sack"), and the remains of Sunday dinner floating in it!

Talking of "Sunday", it'll have taken me a month of them to find my copy of the book. I've got so much still packed in boxes since I moved here 13 years ago.

I think you can get quite sick if you get it bad, most who get it are mild symptoms ...
"Sick"? "Symptoms"? Blinking plumber, he told me my minor water leak was "Dengue Fever"! He was telling me porkies wasn't he?

@Craven Brewer
Thanks so much

I did have this in my online records.
Timely as most people have turkey spare lying around at this time of year.
Not that keen on seeing a chicken carcass bobbing up and down in my fermentasaurus. Would be like something from a sci-fi horror.

Attachments

• DBayne Old beer recipes001.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 0

I have a 1983 reprint of the 1967 copy. It has Yuletide and Yuletide Mark II recipes in it. If you'd like I can scan and post them?

@telenomus
Very kind offer to scan and post. I've got a scan of the recipe now ( see above).
I'll be back in NZ in a couple of weeks so will be reunited with my copy then. Given the slowness of post and the strikes with UK postal service it would arrive here long after I've left.
Your offer very kind though.

Latest posts

Back