Book by Dave Line

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Python15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a long shot but here goes. Many years ago back in the late 70's my old man had a book by Dave Line called "Brewing Beers Like Those you Buy". In this book was a recipe for "Viking Honey Ale", not a beer you'd buy, I here you say but I think it was more of a history lesson in brew craft than anything else. Now I remember well drinking this, as does my older brother and it was very enjoyable. My older brother recently bought a copy only to find the recipe has been removed. I bought a copy from as far back as I possibly could (1994) and it was also missing here too. My question is, does anyone have the recipe for Dave Line's Viking Honey Ale?

I suspect your dad had other books, too.
If it wasn't a commercial beer then it shouldn't be in "making beers like those you buy" and it's not in my copy. On p64 of "the big book of brewing" Line dismisses honey. He says it was used but modern sugars make it unnecessary, or words to that effect. I've checked wheeler's early work and even Berry's brewing book. Can't find any reference to Viking beers or honey beers.

If it wasn't a commercial beer then it shouldn't be in "making beers like those you buy" and it's not in my copy. On p64 of "the big book of brewing" Line dismisses honey. He says it was used but modern sugars make it unnecessary, or words to that effect. I've checked wheeler's early work and even Berry's brewing book. Can't find any reference to Viking beers or honey beers.
Tell you what. I'll send an email to the Keeper of the Runes at Valhalla and ask if they've got a recipe in their library that they wouldn't mind sharing. 🤣

This is a long shot but here goes. Many years ago back in the late 70's my old man had a book by Dave Line called "Brewing Beers Like Those you Buy". In this book was a recipe for "Viking Honey Ale", not a beer you'd buy, I here you say but I think it was more of a history lesson in brew craft than anything else. Now I remember well drinking this, as does my older brother and it was very enjoyable. My older brother recently bought a copy only to find the recipe has been removed. I bought a copy from as far back as I possibly could (1994) and it was also missing here too. My question is, does anyone have the recipe for Dave Line's Viking Honey Ale?
I have looked through my copy but it is definitely not there either. sorry

Eighth impression 1982 - no sign.
This may be a false memory but I recall a recipe along with an illustration depicting someone asleep and dreaming of flowers (hops) and Valhalla - like the style in Papazian but I couldn’t find it there either.

If it wasn't a commercial beer then it shouldn't be in "making beers like those you buy" and it's not in my copy.
Or is it....?

Attachments

• 18_1332692759_6957_300_300.jpeg
    18_1332692759_6957_300_300.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
There is actually a skol recipe in it
Does it contain sugar? I wonder if 'Viking Honey Ale' was a Scandinavian* recipe from the book that was either adjusted or fortified with honey.

*Or Scottish branded as Scandinavian, in Skol's case.

Last edited:
Or is it....?
Certainly there's a recipe for Skol lager, but there's no honey in it.
Looking here and there, not many Scandinavian brewers used honey regularly except a Swedish style called Gotlandsdricka which SOMETIMES used honey and other times used sugar. that's where I'd start looking if I wanted to brew such a thing.

Tell you what. I'll send an email to the Keeper of the Runes at Valhalla and ask if they've got a recipe in their library that they wouldn't mind sharing. 🤣
Got a reply early on:

Hello Ankoù
No you can't have our recipe. You've got your own. You call it Braggott!
Hope the wife and huskies are keeping well.
Happy slaying.
Gunnar Runekeeper
Menningarþjónusta Ásgarðs

Last edited:
Does it contain sugar? I wonder if 'Viking Honey Ale' was a Scandinavian* recipe from the book that was either adjusted or fortified with honey.

*Or Scottish branded as Scandinavian, in Skol's case.

As I tried to explain earlier and this is only what I've been told by my brother; he read that Dave Line was trying to explain how ale was made historically and that Scandinavians had to have had hundreds of failed attempts. I wasn't trying to push the fact that this was a commercial ale. I'll take it up with him when I speak to him on Sunday and tell him what an @rse he's made me look! He is absolutely adamant it's been removed.

I'll check Brewing better beers by Ken Shales when I get home. Lots of honey seems like a recipe he'd use as there wasn't a lot of malt in many of those recipes.

Latest posts

Back