King Keg Top Tap float falling out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannythemanny

Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm really sorry to bring this up as I feel it must've been covered dozens of times before, but I've been searching for an hour and a half now with no joy...

I recently purchased 2 KKTTs (more fool me..?) and I have a problem with both of them. Where the float goes into the back of the tap, it just keeps falling out. I open the tap and whoosh, I get all the CO2 coming out and no beer. Open it up, and once again, the float has fallen down into the beer. So using a sanitised spoon, I fish it out again. It's a real pain in the neck. I know I'm not alone in this problem, but have yet to find a solution. I have heard mention of an o-ring, but my floats don't have o-rings on them. I can't imagine that an o-ring would help keep it in - seems like it wouldn't be able to push in as far and would be even more likely to fall out! I've half a mind to glue the b@st@rd in there!!! Any thoughts? Apologies for raking over old ground.
:(

I have 3 KK top taps and I haven't seen this problem. I assume the plastic tube must be coming off the 'stab' on the tap connection thus just venting co2 out ? Mine pushed quite a long way on - obvious question I know, but is the pipe pushed far enough on ? I have sparkler taps .. maybe a difference with the drum tap if you have these ?
Rather than using glue perhaps it would be better to push the tube right on the tap connector then use a tie-wrap to hold it firmly on ? That way if you ever need to replace the tube, etc you can easily get it off without wrecking your tap (especially important if it's a relatively pricey sparkler tap).

It is the only bit I do not apply petroleum jelly to as it will lubricate rather than seal, I presume you are not applying any.

Roy

I did try some Vaseline once, but as you say, it lubed it and it just fell out. Basically, there are 3 components to mine: the float, the tube, and the part that plugs in the back of the tap. It's just the part that plugs into the back of the tap doesn't fit well, and just drops out. Since it comes into contact with the beer, I couldn't really glue it. Guess I could try new floats. But these have only been used twice. :(

I have the same keg, so far no problem but I will think on it as if it has happened to you it may well happen to me :geek:

I have heard very good comments about the sparkler tap and the float system, I would personally probably go for the sparkler tap first but either part could be faulty. At least by getting the tap first, if it proves to be the float insert I have an upgrade rather than just a duplication

Roy

Latest posts

Back