Nitrous Oxide Bulbs in a King Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am hoping to make a Coopers Irish Stout (extract kit) and put it in my King Keg Top Tap. The reason I want to use my King Keg is that I have a sparkler tap suitable for Stouts fitted to it plus I can add Nitrous Oxide 8g Gas Bulbs to hopefully give it that creamy Guinness Smoothness. That is my plan anyway unless someone out there can advise me differently. I dont want to use my Corny as this only has CO2. Am I right or wrong in thinking I can add these little 8g Nitrous Oxide Gas Bulbs or not? They are freely available from Ebay and are advertised as being suitable for dispensing whipped cream or something like that.
I have had nothing but trouble with my King keg and last few times I have used it I hadn't enough pressure in it to dispense the beer. I certainly wouldnt get a Top Tap again as it requires an added problem of the float which the Bottom Taps dont have. I plan to give it another go and have been told to use PTFE Tape around the threads and over the top lip. Is there a way I can do this and test it with say water in it before I try it with my beer & if so what would be the proper procedure to do to trial this? Or indeed any other suggestions out there to try get these King problems sorted. I have 2 cornies which I love but I also think a good looking keg like this could be used as opposed to just lying in a shed. After all its not as if they are cheap. Look forward to any feedback which I always take on board and respect. Cheers

You won't be the first to use "laughing gas" instead of nitrogen. No idea what it does in beer, I believe it does make creamy topping on chilled coffee?

Guiness use "mixed gas" (70% nitrogen plus CO2). But it requires frigid temperatures and extreme pressure (over 30PSI) to make it work well: Well over the specs for a KK. And all to keep a creamy head like pre-1950 Guinness (the warm hand-pumped stuff!).

As above, wrong gas, unrealistic pressure & also no restriction plate inside the tap.

You will need some investment for creamflow beer I’m afraid but it is great addition for homebrew IMO.

Back