Kit wine not clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have returned to brewing/winemaking recently after a long hiatus. As a quickie I bought a Solomon Grundy Medium Dry White wine kit. It fermented out fine after about a week with an SG of 990. I added the stabiliser and degassed using a wand and drill then followed this with the wine compound and Kieselsol sachet. 24 hours after added the Chitosan as directed and sat the demijohn in the fridge at 3 degC. Although there is a layer of sediment on the bottom as expected, the wine is definitely not clear after a week. I don't think it's going to get any clearer of it's own accord. Any suggestions on what to do next. Also, if it's a bit too dry what would be the best method of sweetening if it's rescuable.

It could be some chill haze you are seeing in the wine, try leaving the DJ in a cooler room which doesnt get direct sunlight and see if there is clarity appearing as it warms up. For sweetening there are various home brew sweeteners available and afaik some people also use things like unfermented grape juice, one thing to be very careful of is not starting an unintended secondary fermentation in the bottle.

Just an update. I gave up yesterday as the thing was still quite murky. So I tried some Kwik clear and this morning it's clear as a bell. It's also a lot drier than I expected as I was hoping for a medium dry. Can I sweeten with stevia (Truvia) and if so does it affect the SG in the same way sugar does? With sugar I can check to get within a certain SG range but don't know if the same applies with Truvia. I was going to use Truvia as it's diet friendly for the wife.

I am a bit confused, are you asking if you can back sweeten an existing wine with sugar or Truvia or use Truvia instead of sugar in your next one.

It's to back sweeten existing wine that has finally cleared and has been stabilised. It seems very dry and looking to get it medium or medium dry I would aim for an SG range with sugar. I didn't know if I could use Truvia in the same way. As Truvia is non fermentable I suspect it wont register an increase in SG the same as sugar would.

Latest posts

Back