Labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Currently for labelling needs I (like many others) use Beer Labelizer which for someone who is creatively challenged serves really well. Currently I will print these to regular paper (normally about 6 per sheet) and then if they acquiesce get the kids to cut them out manually before I stick em on either using the milk method or good old pritt stick.

Ideally, I would like to make this more straightforward by simply printing the beer Albelizer design directly to a sheet of compatible stickers, peeling them off and sticking them off.

Does anyone else do this? What sticker sheets would you recommend?

Cheers in advance

Northern Horners

I use Avery heavy duty white labels (24 on A4 sheet ref L4773) and design using Avery's Design & Print online (https://www.avery.co.uk/software/design-print)
The heavy duty labels don't disintegrate when you want to remove them and usually peel off in one piece.
Also, it's best if you can print to a laser printer rather than inkjet so they are splash proof.

I use Avery heavy duty white labels (24 on A4 sheet ref L4773) and design using Avery's Design & Print online (https://www.avery.co.uk/software/design-print)
The heavy duty labels don't disintegrate when you want to remove them and usually peel off in one piece.
Also, it's best if you can print to a laser printer rather than inkjet so they are splash proof.

Cheers at 24 to a page are they not a ot small?

I had one designed by a guy through the website Fiverr (cost a few USD).

Then had 200 printed off through "The Sticker Shop". Expensive at £29; but that works out at 15p/label.

Once you factor in the cost of the the label sheets, printer ink/toner, etc - it may well be something worth looking into.​

Ghillie IPA.jpg

I had one designed by a guy through the website Fiverr (cost a few USD).

Then had 200 printed off through "The Sticker Shop". Expensive at £29; but that works out at 15p/label.

Once you factor in the cost of the the label sheets, printer ink/toner, etc - it may well be something worth looking into.​

Look good but I tend to do a lot of different styles and say only bottle 8 from each batch and keg the rest

Look good but I tend to do a lot of different styles and say only bottle 8 from each batch and keg the rest
Fair enough bud. I think the labels would come out around 60p each in that instance which is quite a lot for a sticker essentially:laugh8:

I used to spend ages designing self adhesive labels to stick on the bottles, but got fed up having to scrape them off before I could reuse the bottles. I now use 25 mm diameter round labels that I print and stick on the top of the caps. They're no work of art, but it's quick, cheap, convenient and tells you what's in the bottle.

I bought some self-adhesive A4 paper, 25 sheets for £9 on Amazon. I cut out the front of the kit box and scanned it. Then I used Windows Paint to crop it. I rediscovered a way to print four images at once in Windows - find your jpeg or png scan file, right -click on it and select 'print'. Then you choose the layout on the right, four or nine images to a sheet. Sometimes I scanned a drip mat and for some I just found an image on Google.
upload_2019-5-8_11-10-26.png

upload_2019-5-8_11-14-26.png

At the moment I'm using brown paper tape that has a gum on the back. I think they used it during the war on the windows in the blitz, and write on that. Gives the bottles a similar look.
My main priority with bottle labels is that they should soak off easily with no effort. I've made jam for years and had similar problems getting the goo off labels.

To make them a bit more fancy for gifts I use a decorative corner paper punch. (Linky)

For the grolsch bottles and swing tops I just use 160gsm thick brown paper and tuck it under the swing clip.
- but it is just me drinking it.

I got some cheap labels off eBay for the minikegs at my mate’s stag do. They sat in a box full of ice bags (which leaked) and there was absolutely no smudging.

I used to use the Avery 24 per sheet rectangle stickers. Very basic and small but it served a purpose. I then tried using the beer labelizer thing and that worked well too but was a bit time consuming. I printed off enough for a 40 bottle batch and gave up after labelling 6 bottles. And now that I keg my beer, labels have gone by the wayside. I did come across some good websites for labelling but they weren't free to use.

Latest posts

Back