Lack of Fizz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Mossop

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please

I have just done by first brew by hops and it is currently in a pressure barrell getting ready to drink. Sampling of this has shown me that the amount of fizz is not similar to other can based brews I have made before. Is there anyway to rectify this?

I want to bottle it to free up my pressure barrell so do I just put a little sugar in each bottle or can I add more sugar to the barrell.

What do people recommend

Thanks

Buzz

Hi Buzz
did you already prime the beer when it went into the barrel?

Buzz Mossop said:
Excuse my questions, new to this.

When you say prime, what do you mean?
It means to add some sugar into your dispensing keg when you've added the beer from the fermenter.
You can fit a gas valve to the keg lid to add co2.
INJ20026151.JPG

Understand now thanks

I did add sugar (wondering if I added enough now) but do not have a gas valve, I think I should probably get one

Could I add more sugar and wait?

Hi buzz

You won't really get any fizz if you put it in a barrel. The priming will ensure that your beer produces co2 which will stay on top and keep it 'fresh'. Adding more co2 will enable you to keep a bit of pressure in the barrel as you empty it and make it easier to get the pour out. If you want a bit of fizz in your beer, you'l have to bottle, or get a cornie.

Hope that helps!
Tony

Back