16.58% ABV Barrel Aged Imperial Stout - Cromarty Brewing Co. Anniversary XI clone recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterpiper

Reaction score
16.58% ABV Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Any recipe suggestions?
Anniversary-web-3_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Yesterday, I had a glass of Cromarty Brewing Co. Anniversary XI - Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.
It is 16.58% ABV; 82 IBU; colour Black; aged 35 months in a mix of freshly emptied bourbon & wine barrels; BBE Jan.33.

I'm not usually a huge fan of stouts, so haven't tried brewing a stout yet, but this needs correcting, urgently, now!
I often find stouts too bitter or harsh, but despite being 82 IBU, this Cromarty stout was a lovely, rounded, chockolately malt; a lot of body; a hint of sweetness; just lightly carbonated but with a good head.

Searched online in vain, highest recipe ABVs around 12%, so looking for any recipe & method suggestions. Happy to try all grain or part extract recipes. I even wonder if their product is fermented to a lower ABV, then fortified, maybe with bourbon.

Methods: has anyone tried any of these options?
i) Try fermenting to 16.58%
ii) Ferment to regular 11-12%, then fortify with spirit. To get 16%, from 11% fermented and 45% bourbon, would need around a 6:1 mix ratio, so could work out pricey.

OG
With all grain, reaching required OG, I guess around 1150, might be tricky (in brewzilla 3.1 35l), even doing a reduced batch size.
i) Replacing bulk of malts with light malt extract, at ratio of 0.65 pounds of dry extract for each pound of malt removed. Add majority of extract towards end of boil, to maximise hop extraction efficiency.
ii) Mash, just half of the grain first, drain/ part sparge, then mash second half of grain using same mash liquid.

YEAST(S)
i) A single ale yeast ferment, trying to coax it to final ABV. Maybe adding any recipe sucrose, in stages, later during fermentation. To avoid excess sweetness if ferment sticks. Which yeasts would manage apparent attenuation of around 84%, at 17% tolerance. White Labs Super High Gravity WLP099 would maybe do, but pricey, & it loosing the malt character at higher gravity's, might be a problem.
ii) Any preferred ale yeast, then (at around SG 1.030) re pitch using a wine or champagne yeast.
Maybe Lallemand EC1118 : Neutral, rapid start, with high alcohol tolerance of about 18%.

OXYGEN
When / how often & how to introduce air/oxygen for yeast growth.

SWEETNESS
Cromarty bottle doesn't say 'milk stout', but wondering if theres some lactose in there giving the right sweetness balance. Or if its the residual unfermented sugars, but then tricky getting Bottle carbonation right.
Have seen between 5%-13% lactose, suggesteded for milk stouts. 5% for nuance, and 13% for the extreme. Added at the later stages of the boil.

MATURE
A year or more, on oak cubes / chips pre- soaked in bourbon.
What quantity of Whisky Oak Barrel chips / cubes is good (/gallon).

all I have is this...

brew 22 -king kong Black top

10/09/2016
2kg extra dark dme
1 kg medium
1 kg ex light
500g dwe
500g candi dark
450g golden syrup
500g aromatic malt
500g dark crystal
250g roasted barley.
250g caramunich iii
20.5 litres - OG 1.108

01/10/2016
1.010 - fg
12.86%

I used MJ yeast good for 14% - rehydrated as I only used one packet.

The grain was a standard 60 min mash. - whilst I didn't keep records on this I did google - impy stout mash times and temps

It was so hard to brew this with my kit and it went berserk while fermenting - blow off tube is essential.

you will need lots of headspace in your fv.

Thanks, D_o_j
Which MJ yeast? I've only used their M20 Bavarian Wheat, and hadn't seen MJ listing alcohol tolerances.
See their M31 Belgian Tripel is Attenuation: Very High (82 - 92%).

Guess first 3 ingredients are dried malt extracts, but what's the 4th 'dwe'?

Also realised, (newish to forum) that post might be better in 'recipe' section. Any way to move it??

Last edited:
... Didn't notice you were looking for recipe. I thought it was just to tidy you by. I still think I'm in the lead!

Thanks, D_o_j
Which MJ yeast? I've only used their M20 Bavarian Wheat, and hadn't seen MJ listing alcohol tolerances.

Also realised, (newish to forum) that post might be better in 'recipe' section. Any way to move it??
It's M29 I've used on many occasions.

a lot of my 10%+ beers are brewed with it.

Thanks, D_o_j

Dried wheat extract. (muntons usually)

apparently will aid head retention but at this abv any you get is a bonus - lol

16.58% ABV Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Any recipe suggestions?
Anniversary-web-3_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Yesterday, I had a glass of Cromarty Brewing Co. Anniversary XI - Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.
It is 16.58% ABV; 82 IBU; colour Black; aged 35 months in a mix of freshly emptied bourbon & wine barrels; BBE Jan.33.

I'm not usually a huge fan of stouts, so haven't tried brewing a stout yet, but this needs correcting, urgently, now!
I often find stouts too bitter or harsh, but despite being 82 IBU, this Cromarty stout was a lovely, rounded, chockolately malt; a lot of body; a hint of sweetness; just lightly carbonated but with a good head.

Searched online in vain, highest recipe ABVs around 12%, so looking for any recipe & method suggestions. Happy to try all grain or part extract recipes. I even wonder if their product is fermented to a lower ABV, then fortified, maybe with bourbon.

Methods: has anyone tried any of these options?
i) Try fermenting to 16.58%
ii) Ferment to regular 11-12%, then fortify with spirit. To get 16%, from 11% fermented and 45% bourbon, would need around a 6:1 mix ratio, so could work out pricey.

OG
With all grain, reaching required OG, I guess around 1150, might be tricky (in brewzilla 3.1 35l), even doing a reduced batch size.
i) Replacing bulk of malts with light malt extract, at ratio of 0.65 pounds of dry extract for each pound of malt removed. Add majority of extract towards end of boil, to maximise hop extraction efficiency.
ii) Mash, just half of the grain first, drain/ part sparge, then mash second half of grain using same mash liquid.

YEAST(S)
i) A single ale yeast ferment, trying to coax it to final ABV. Maybe adding any recipe sucrose, in stages, later during fermentation. To avoid excess sweetness if ferment sticks. Which yeasts would manage apparent attenuation of around 84%, at 17% tolerance. White Labs Super High Gravity WLP099 would maybe do, but pricey, & it loosing the malt character at higher gravity's, might be a problem.
ii) Any preferred ale yeast, then (at around SG 1.030) re pitch using a wine or champagne yeast.
Maybe Lallemand EC1118 : Neutral, rapid start, with high alcohol tolerance of about 18%.

OXYGEN
When / how often & how to introduce air/oxygen for yeast growth.

SWEETNESS
Cromarty bottle doesn't say 'milk stout', but wondering if theres some lactose in there giving the right sweetness balance. Or if its the residual unfermented sugars, but then tricky getting Bottle carbonation right.
Have seen between 5%-13% lactose, suggesteded for milk stouts. 5% for nuance, and 13% for the extreme. Added at the later stages of the boil.

MATURE
A year or more, on oak cubes / chips pre- soaked in bourbon.
What quantity of Whisky Oak Barrel chips / cubes is good (/gallon).

Email Cromarty. Nice guys up there. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

dwe = dried wheat extract, should have guessed!
The M29 is meant to ferment quite dry with spicy notes. Did that recipe produce a dry tasting stout, and did that spicyness come through?

Could give Cromarty a try. They might give a few hints, or more if was a one off.

Look at brewdog recipes.
12th anniversary stout I think above this abv.
Pretty straightforward recipe lot of grain, lot of roast grain big starter, yeast nutrient, oxygenate and WLP099 will chew through it.

Look at brewdog recipes.
12th anniversary stout I think above this abv.
Pretty straightforward recipe lot of grain, lot of roast grain big starter, yeast nutrient, oxygenate and WLP099 will chew through it.
Well spotted! They give lots of stout recipes.
!2th anniversary stout is 'Dog H' (maybe 2020), utube review says 16.8%. The latest stout recipe I can find is 'Dog E' 16.1%, a 9th anniversary release (in 2016). but was repeat of 2010 recipe, so guess must have been good to get re-used. And I guess a good starting point.
Dog E recipe uses Wyeast 1272. The listed alcohol tolerance is 10%, so don't understand getting 16.8% (unless the yeasts been downrated in recent years).
The last Brewdog recipe shown is 2017. A shame if Brewdog has stopped doing these.

Where did you spot it, or if you have it could you provide copy?

Last edited:
Will post any reply I get from Cromarty. They're only 25mile from me, so might be round knocking on their door if no answer.

Last edited:
Not trusting the Brewdog 9th anniversary, Dog E imperial stout recipe.
Putting it into Brewfather, get warning "yeast ABV tolerance limit exceeded by 5.9%"; FG 1.072; ABV 10%.
Changing from Wyeast 1272 to Nottingham yeast gives: FG 1.028; ABV 15.8%

dwe = dried wheat extract, should have guessed!
The M29 is meant to ferment quite dry with spicy notes. Did that recipe produce a dry tasting stout, and did that spicyness come through?

Could give Cromarty a try. They might give a few hints, or more if was a one off.
It wasn't dry it had a fair amount of body but wasn't cloying. I didn't get spicyness but I did ferment at the lower end of the range.

I've used it at higher temps and there is more spiciness then.

Sorry time lag here.
I've made the Dog H and used WLP099 and it coped fine with it. I used the yeast cake from a partigyle beer that I brewed after making a Thomas Hardy ale clone.
So 6 litre starter foc Barley wine, partigyle was 1.040 20 litres using the same yeast small pitch. Used this yeast cake for the Dog H.
Partigyle on the Dog H I made a mild.

Sorry time lag here.
I've made the Dog H and used WLP099 and it coped fine with it. I used the yeast cake from a partigyle beer that I brewed after making a Thomas Hardy ale clone.
So 6 litre starter foc Barley wine, partigyle was 1.040 20 litres using the same yeast small pitch. Used this yeast cake for the Dog H.
Partigyle on the Dog H I made a mild.
Just found the Dog H recipe.

It's in the pdf download 2019+DIY+DOG+-+V8.pdf
Dog H is recipe 400, of 415.
Brewdog's Web Version only goes to recipe 261 (2017).

Couldn't try the Diy Dawg app, as it's not compatible with any of my devices, so guess they've stopped updating it for compatability with later android versions.

Quite a few changes from from Dog E, but still saying Wyeast1272 (which is 10% alcohol tolerance).
I've seen older posts commenting on errors in Brewdogs published recipes. One recipe gives the quantity, of one ingredient, for making a barrel, rather than 5 Gallons!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back