Lager - 30/12/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyv

Regular.
Reaction score
Seems to be the weather for lagering at the moment so thought I'd try brewing a lager. I have my fridge set up with a thermostatic immersion heater & ATC800 to control fermentation temp and yesterday I made a starter of some old Brewferm lager yeast I've had in the fridge since January - currently fermenting well - rather surprising :D

Based on 70% efficiency, OG 1.052 - I'm boiling for two hours as I'm struggling to get a decent hot break at the moment - resulting in some chill-hazed beers - not great for a lager. I've also insulated the boiler to get a harder boil.

The grist:

4.00kg British Lager Malt
0.40kg Flaked Maize
0.40kg Carahell (was going to use Carapils/Dextrine but didn't have any)

Adding 0.40kg Glucose to the boiler to thin it out a bit.

Hops:
50g Saaz (4%) at 120min

Yeast:
24g of Brewferm lager yeast, started, to be pitched at 12 degrees.

Once I've figured out how to get photos off my phone I'll post some blurry pics :)

Had major evaporation issues today - what with it being so cold outside. Still, I managed to hit the OG spot-on but was 3l under target volume :hmm: - My efficiency seems to change every brew - not sure where my process is going awry. I did get a monster amount of hot & cold break so I'm hoping this one will come up crystal clear when it's done.

Bluetooth with the phone isn't working so I'll post pics when I've fixed that.

Sorted out my phone to transfer files via bluetooth - so here are some pics & an update at the end:

The Grist:
Photo0095.jpg

The somewhat badly insulated boiler, which boiled over and has made the bubble wrap nice & sticky: :roll:
Photo0096.jpg

Underletting the mash tun - I find I get a more consistent mash with this approach:
Photo0097.jpg

Mashed in, temp at 66 degrees:
Photo0099.jpg

The Brewferm Lager yeast starter I made a couple of days before brewday. Nice to see the yeast doing it's job despite being over a year out of date:
Photo0100.jpg

Boiling, whack in the Saaz:
Photo0102.jpg

Post-boil, OG at 1.052 - although it looks higher here :hmm:
Photo0106.jpg

The more-than usual amount of trub:
Photo0107.jpg

This is what happens when you leave your IC out overnight in winter :oops:
Photo0109.jpg

Update:
Fermenting nicely now - down to around 1.030 last night so I'm expecting another week or so, then I'll raise the temp to 15-16 degrees for a diacetyl rest for a few days.

Once kegged I'm going to have to disconnect the fridge from ATC800 to get a lower temperature than 5 degrees for lagering purposes. Or maybe I rely on the weather to be chilly for the new month or two :pray:

I've had a taster, it's still rather sweet, and I can definitely taste the flaked maize in there :sick: hopefully that'll mellow a bit :? I'm hoping the lagering process will clear up the flavour dramatically.

Fingers crossed.

highwayman said:
Looks great..I have only mashed a Kolsch and that was brilliant. Will you pm or post how it turns out with photo of your finished product please ;)

Yep no worries - it's got a couple more days in the FV then a few days for a diacetyl rest at a higher temperature then it'll be ready for kegging/bottling. After that it'll be lagering for a couple of months... man these lagers take a lot of effort! :)

that looks awesome :thumb:

is that super bright yellow in the grist the maize or carahell?

having never seen nor used either i'd be curious to know what effect they have on a brew ;)

BrewStew said:
is that super bright yellow in the grist the maize or carahell?

having never seen nor used either i'd be curious to know what effect they have on a brew ;)

The bright yellow stuff is the flaked maize. The carahell is slightly darker than the lager malt - you can just about make it out in the grist photo.

The maize will give the lager a subtle corn type flavour which i find detectable in lagers like Kronenbourg. The carahell should promote good head formation & retention - I believe it's very similar to Carapils but kilned off slightly hotter.

This has fermented further than I first estimated. It's at 1.006 which means it's 6% :oops: - I was aiming for 5.5% ish, let's hope the bitterness is enough to balance it.

I'll be turning up the temperature to 18 degrees over the next 24 hours for three days, then racking.

Back