Lager Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birkin

Reaction score
Well it's been an interesting day so far! I thought my boiler had gone bang when heating up the liquor for the mash, turned out to be my extension.. i saw sparks, and it tripped the fuse..

Lagers going nicely though, just lautering it now, seems to be flowing well (I had a stuck bed on my last lager so this is a relief!)

My mash pH was a bit low at 4.7, will see how it comes out!

Attachments

• 20190804_164905.jpg
    20190804_164905.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 90
Well it's been an interesting day so far! I thought my boiler had gone bang when heating up the liquor for the mash, turned out to be my extension.. i saw sparks, and it tripped the fuse..

Lagers going nicely though, just lautering it now, seems to be flowing well (I had a stuck bed on my last lager so this is a relief!)

My mash pH was a bit low at 4.7, will see how it comes out!
Using extension leads on these boilers is not a great idea due to the current the element is drawing hence your fuse blowing to overcurrent.If you can try and plug the element directly into the socket outlet and this will reduce the heat on your cable as well.
Good to see the brew got sorted.

Yeah.. I know.. it's a bit of a necessity because I need it next to the sink for the wort chiller, and the nearest plug is about 6 feet away - it's only a short extension - I use those 4 plug adapters because they're rated for 13 amps, usually they're fine but this one wasn't.

It's probably got a lot to do with using the cheapest wire possible, meaning it gets hotter, and my guess is it melted the insulation and shorted.

Anyways, different lead and we're approaching 90 minutes without an issue, time to chill and pitch!

Latest posts

Back