Lager haze

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantat

Reaction score
I find that when I have brewed a kit lager then chill the bottles in the fridge I find the beer becomes hazy.

Is there a solution to this?

It's a "chill haze". If you search for the term there's a lot of info out there on it. Unfortunately many of the solutions for preventing it are not relevant to kits. The best you can do at this stage is to continue to keep it as cold as you can get it without freezing and eventually the protein particles causing the haze will fall to the bottom of the bottle. This can take a long time.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll investigate solutions. How do commercial brewers over come this problem?

Thanks for the reply, I’ll investigate solutions. How do commercial brewers over come this problem?
Commercial bottled lager is filtered to remove all particles, (sometimes) pasteurised to extend the shelf life and then force carbonated for packaging.

Thank you for your explanation. Gosh I’m glad my beers are at least alive!

Commercial bottled lager is filtered to remove all particles, (sometimes) pasteurised to extend the shelf life and then force carbonated for packaging.
Except the ones that specify bottle conditioned of course, but there's not a lot of those and those that do are usually ales.

I know German beers are brewed to a strict rules. I wonder if they are also processed to enable them to be served chilled?

I know German beers are brewed to a strict rules. I wonder if they are also processed to enable them to be served chilled?
The ones you're thinking about are filtered. When the Germans do an unfiltered beer they call it Kellerbier. I've been meaning to buy a case of Hacker Pschorr 1417 Kellerbier for a while not only because it's very nice but it'll give me a free source of lager yeast for my next German pilsner brew.

Back