Lager recipe - advice/comments greatly received!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've had a bottle or two of my lager now and while I do like it there is an unwanted sweet aftertaste which is irritating as otherwise I think it's a grand pint. I'm not sure where this has come from? It could be from my mash temp (66c too high?) or perhaps underpitching the yeast (only used one packet of rehydrated Saflager?)

What do you reckon?

Could be the mash temp, but may be the extra malts you used? I only use lager malt for mine and it doesn't taste sweet.

I'ver tried a couple of commercial craft (oxymoron?) lagers recently that both had a sweet aftertaste, Evil Twin's Yellow cab and also the Brewdog Fake Lager unfiltered version. The standard fake lager is not so sweet. I prefer a drier lager myself. Still... that's the fun of experimenting eh? If you don't want it I'll find a good home for it ;)

DirtyC

Cononthebarber said:
So I've had a bottle or two of my lager now and while I do like it there is an unwanted sweet aftertaste which is irritating as otherwise I think it's a grand pint. I'm not sure where this has come from? It could be from my mash temp (66c too high?) or perhaps underpitching the yeast (only used one packet of rehydrated Saflager?)

What do you reckon?

The Munich gives it sweetness, I use just under 5% for a malt forward Helles, so next time reduce the %, or just use all lager or pilsner

The sweetness comes more from the low IBU bitterness rather than 'maltyness'. Similarly with Wheat Beers, they can finish quite dry but because of the low IBU taste 'sweeter'

D

DirtyCaner said:
What hops do you use in your Helles Ed?

Just one addition of Hallertau Hersbrucker or Mittelfruh at 60mins to 19IBU (Rager), I boil for 90mins

Back