Lagering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
Probably not the normal questions but here goes. oh and I am using the coopers Eurolager kit, with the kit yeast.

Having done a bit of reading there would seem to be two lines of though either go long, 6 weeks etc or keep it shorter 2 weeks

https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2012/04/10/easiest-guide-on-how-to-lager-homebrew/

or

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Having not done one before I am sure there will be pro's and cons to both.

The issue I am having is that I have about 1 week left in the primary and then into the secondary to lager. I am seriously short of time on the 2 week method and will be way over the 6 week method. As i will be away for a period over the festive.

So the question is do I try and rush it, or would I be better to leave it lagering longer and deal with it when I can, and will this do any harm? The first article does method does mention 2.5 months and having to add some slurry back, but this should settle out in the bottles again anyway.

Steve

Hi!
If you are fermenting at the lowest end of the yeast's recommended temperature range (21C down to 13C) the instructions recommend extending the fermentation period, so I'd leave it as long as possible, checking that fermentation is complete before proceeding to the next stage. Low and slow is the motto for lager.

2nd question here then, when transferring to a second fv to lager, does this need a airlock on top or should this just be sealed as it will be so cold there will be no activity. ( that may sound daft and straight forward but better to ask)

I left a bubble-trap bottle on mine (a Coopers Lager Cold Hopped) on the basis that it was still doing "something".

I lagered at 10 degrees for 10 weeks and tonight I tasted my first pint after two weeks of conditioning.

It had little or no head but it tasted "better than okay" so I think that after a month or more it will get a much better head and be a lovely brew ...

... just in time for Christmas! :thumb: :thumb:

I've had my coopers Euro lager in the primary for 4 weeks at 10c, now on the 5th week I've increased to 20c and dry hopped. I plan to bottle at the end of this week, let them carb up indoors, then lager them over the winter in the shed. I have high hopes

I've had my coopers Euro lager in the primary for 4 weeks at 10c, now on the 5th week I've increased to 20c and dry hopped. I plan to bottle at the end of this week, let them carb up indoors, then lager them over the winter in the shed. I have high hopes

I thought you lagered it prior to carbing? if you read the piece in the first post, first link then it says you might have to add a little of the yeast slurry if you lager to long to allow it to carb up.

Might want to have a read and stick it in your fridge prior to priming to carb, as all you will be basically doing is chilling your carbed beer.

I thought you lagered it prior to carbing? if you read the piece in the first post, first link then it says you might have to add a little of the yeast slurry if you lager to long to allow it to carb up.

Might want to have a read and stick it in your fridge prior to priming to carb, as all you will be basically doing is chilling your carbed beer.

ive read a lot of different ways of doing it, i dont think it will make too much difference to be honest. this way just works better for me, would be interesting to split a batch and do both ways to see the difference.

Back