Landline.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chopps this isnt a dig at you just a general observation.

I have never understood the need for speed i went for a FTTC package because we stream HD T.V my lad spends his life on YouTube and SWMBO is never off the tablet 65 Mbps is perfect for us
even if we needed Ultra HD (we don't have anything that uses it) we would still have a lot spare as it only needs 25 Mbps, i get some people need higher speeds but the average person doesn't need 200 Mbps so i often wonder why they crave these speeds.
I have been a member of Thinkbroadband for several years and you often see these speed merchants posting there.

For standard definition (SD) streaming you'll need on average 2-3Mbps, for HD 5-8Mbps and for 4K UHD you'll need 25Mbps minimum, but we recommend a connection of 50Mbps to cover all scenarios (live 4K broadcasts require more speed, for example)

Chippy_Tea said:
I remember gaming using a dial up modem with a ping of 100ms plus, lag was part of the experience way back then.
Chippy_Tea said:
I have never understood the need for speed ...

I remember those dialup games, too. However, first person shooters and other 'real-times' games require faster speeds, especially uplink speeds. Although our competitive group did fine as long as we had >45 down & >15 up.

Plus if there's are multiple systems on the net, the speeds need to be higher for the everyone to get their necessary response times. Watch what happens to the streamed-TV when an xbox, ps4, & gaming pc are all active. (Not to mention all the video game warriors for alot!)

I get what you are saying about multiple systems using the same connection at the same time but as it says below its ping that is important not speed as long as you have enough speed for all devices and they are not having a negative impact on each other, how much speed do you actually need who needs more than 65Mbps which i get?

Myths and Truths About Broadband Connections for Gaming | Gigaclear

Surprisingly, gaming doesn’t actually require that much bandwidth - usually not more than 0.1MB. After all, people used to be able to game on a 56K modem so if you’re only gaming, you won’t need much bandwidth to be able to play seamlessly and without lag. It won’t make your game any faster.

However, if you or someone else in your household is going to be performing large online activities, such as streaming videos on Netflix and YouTube or video chatting on Skype, your game will severely lag unless you have a higher bandwidth. This is because downloading and streaming requires more data to be transferred while gaming doesn’t require much at all. Streaming will take up much more “space” and this will affect your game speed.

So what actually matters when you’re gaming, broadband-wise? Ping rates. Ping rates are incredibly important for gaming because it’s the speed at which information is sent from your computer/console to the game servers and back again. The lower the ping, the faster the speed and the smoother the gameplay. Bandwidth won’t help with this.

I get what you are saying about multiple systems using the same connection at the same time but as it says below its ping that is important not speed as long as you have enough speed for all devices and they are not having a negative impact on each other, how much speed do you actually need who needs more than 65Mbps which i get?

Myths and Truths About Broadband Connections for Gaming | Gigaclear

Surprisingly, gaming doesn’t actually require that much bandwidth - usually not more than 0.1MB. After all, people used to be able to game on a 56K modem so if you’re only gaming, you won’t need much bandwidth to be able to play seamlessly and without lag. It won’t make your game any faster.

However, if you or someone else in your household is going to be performing large online activities, such as streaming videos on Netflix and YouTube or video chatting on Skype, your game will severely lag unless you have a higher bandwidth. This is because downloading and streaming requires more data to be transferred while gaming doesn’t require much at all. Streaming will take up much more “space” and this will affect your game speed.

So what actually matters when you’re gaming, broadband-wise? Ping rates. Ping rates are incredibly important for gaming because it’s the speed at which information is sent from your computer/console to the game servers and back again. The lower the ping, the faster the speed and the smoother the gameplay. Bandwidth won’t help with this.

There's some misleading statements in that. IE: 56kb modems would be incompatible with current real time completion gaming technology.
It is true that point is a good indicator that can be an indicator of a bandwidth issue, a local system process issue, or even WAN path being used.

The one issue that many overlook is ones connection is able as fast as the slowest link. Having 1G equipment in the house does no good if that line feeds into a 200m distribution point at the phoneco.

Point is important. Without low ping, time-effected process will be poor;. However, ping is not a resource, but rather an indicator of available resource for the entire link.

There's some misleading statements in that. IE: 56kb modems would be incompatible with current real time completion gaming technology.

I understand that but i think he is using it as an example of you not needing high speeds for smooth gaming only for many users to use the same connection without having an effect on each other.

Latest posts

Back