Larger at 18°C?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyral210

Brewing like a mad scientist
Reaction score
Ok, I know that largers should be fermented and stored (largered) for a few months at 13°C, but what happens if you brew at a higher temperature, say 18°C? Will the taste be much effected? Will be larger be ruined? I am trying to make an authentic German larger, and don't want to get a bucket of muck if brewing at a too high temperature gives that.

if you brew a Lager at 18C with a true Lager yeast, you will end up with some funky fruity flavours . . . you can brew a 'Lager alike' beer using a neutral ale yeast at 18C and will get a cleaner flavour. The ones to try are Nottingham and US-05.

Most yeasts supplied with kits (even Lager kits) are ale yeasts . . . and some of those produce pretty funky flavours anyway.

Of course if you just want to produce a bigger batch of beer then you just need to use a bit more yeast if you pitch at 18C

;)

There should be a section in the forum controls which allows the changing of certain words, set up to avoid swearing etc. but this default could be used on certain words that people struggle with i.e

LAGER :D ;)

:cheers: CS

Kyral210 said:
Ok, I know that largers should be fermented and stored (largered) for a few months at 13°C, but what happens if you brew at a higher temperature, say 18°C? Will the taste be much effected? Will be larger be ruined? I am trying to make an authentic German larger, and don't want to get a bucket of muck if brewing at a too high temperature gives that.

So you are a post grad student at Loughborough (been there, done that) and you, one of the future researchers of the world can't even spell lager - you must drink enough of it down the union. Come on mate, your letting your academic bretheren down there.

homers brew said:
Kyral210 said:

So you are a post grad student at Loughborough (been there, done that) and you, one of the future researchers of the world can't even spell lager - you must drink enough of it down the union. Come on mate, your letting your academic bretheren down there.

I am also dyslexic, so thanks for the confidence boost!

Kyral210 said:
homers brew said:
Kyral210 said:

I am also dyslexic, so thanks for the confidence boost!

Not there problem. Maybe an advanced warning would have saved you any embarassment.

To avoid embarassment

Should I be embarrassed? Sorry I cant be as perfect as you! Taking personal shots has nothing to do with this forum, so if you want to shout at me and put me down grow some and send me a PM!

Kyral210 said:
To avoid embarassment

Should I be embarrassed? Sorry I cant be as perfect as you! Taking personal shots has nothing to do with this forum, so if you want to shout at me and put me down grow some and send me a PM!

I don't think it was a personal attack, it just seems that a lot of people can't spell "lager". Not sure a spell checker would have helped, last time I checked, larger was a word :hmm:

Kyral210 said:
To avoid embarassment

I was not taking any personal shots at you, I understand about dyslexia so I was hoping to help as you seemed to be upset::
(Kyral210 wrote:I am also dyslexic, so thanks for the confidence boost!)

I hope you don't still think that I should "Grow a pair"

Duh, sorry Duncs, of course larger is a word so spellcheck wouldn't work :oops:

Sorry fot the "Pop" Kyral210, I mistakenly thought it was amusing.
If you look, there are an aweful lot of typos on the Forum, a lot of which have the rip taken out of them.
So I don't think anybody was getting personal.

Kyral210 said:

To be dyslexic and only spell one word wrong is pretty good going. . . . . . . . :thumb: I'm not dyslexic and I am always getting my fords wuddled
:roll:

Back