Latest hobby - CNC router

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Andy!
So do you have a 4 axis machine then?
Or are the sides rounded post cut out?
BTW I first learned to use the Fusion 360 'Machining'
Cutting carbon fibre...minimum req for mask..A2P3 rating...done 10 years in the composites industry making pre-preg carbon/composite products for F1, military,aerospace/space, performance cars,boats etc....it's made of horrible stuff...
Hi Clint, yes that's why I use the waterbath, there's no dust, just sludge which I carefully remove to a storage container which I will eventually mix with resin to make it 'safe' for disposal.

Thanks for those links Andy, I have some minimal background to using Rhino some years back, and I'm not sure I can face up to paying the money for Rhino again, and it's now on 6 rather than 3! I could pick up an OEM licence for reasonable money, but have downloaded Fusion as it looks pretty handy.
Hi Alex
The no-brainer with Fusion is that it is free to education and hobbyists, until the day you hit the £100,000 turnover, if I earned that much I'd gladly pay the £350 or so it costs a year!!! :cool:

I managed to lasercut some beer mats of my brews. They could be used to attach to a beer engine pump handle etc. they came out really well. I'll probably mount them on my shed wall!
IMG_2052.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg

@craft_ales_project Very nice!
I'm liking that the wood isn't burnt, is that some post laser process you do or does it finish like that?

I've made one sign with the CNC machine but I've put a dust sheet over it until I can find the time to devote to getting an understanding of Fusion 360 under my belt.
I'm also trying to set myself up with an all grain brewing system and streatching myself too thin.

@craft_ales_project Very nice!
I'm liking that the wood isn't burnt, is that some post laser process you do or does it finish like that?

I've made one sign with the CNC machine but I've put a dust sheet over it until I can find the time to devote to getting an understanding of Fusion 360 under my belt.
I'm also trying to set myself up with an all grain brewing system and stretching myself too thin.
Thanks. Yes, there are things you can do to stop burning, like covering the ply with masking tape, but I didn't bother with these. All I did to finish them was to spray about 4 thick coats of Wilko's finest varnish! I make balsa/plywood model aircraft using the works Co2 laser, I learned that to stop scorching all you need to do is pre-soak the balsa wood under a tap first. To stop the sheet warping soak both sides!

@craft_ales_project
I'm also trying to set myself up with an all grain brewing system and streatching myself too thin.
Yes it is a learning curve, but treat it as a hobby and enjoy the process! If you need any assistance please give me a shout. I found that frustration leads to joy if you persevere, like all things worth doing. My tip with Fusion is to look at the 'Project' function, it will turn that creative light bulb on.. :cool:

Yes it is a learning curve, but treat it as a hobby and enjoy the process! If you need any assistance please give me a shout. I found that frustration leads to joy if you persevere, like all things worth doing. My tip with Fusion is to look at the 'Project' function, it will turn that creative light bulb on.. :cool:

Thanks for the offer Andy athumb..
I'm working my way through the Lars Christensen's YouTube tutorials, time consuming but it's giving me a good grounding.
Roll on the winter evenings when I can get some proper time to devote to it.

Back