leaking cornie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
i have a cornie that is a little beaten around the top there the o ring seats
anyone got any tips for re shaping the lip
i can get it to seal but only at 25psi

Once you seal it as 25psi does it loose the seal when you drop the pressure, if so I'd say it's fecked, if not, you have a method of sealing. A last ditch effort may be to bring it up close to the relief valve pressure, IMPORTANT - FILL IT TO THE BRIM BEFORE GOING TO HIGH PRESSURE. water can't compress so less stored energy if something gives, I've no idea what the relief valve lifts at so you will have to look up yourself. It may be enough to reshape enough to take out the deformation on the head.
Bru

try smearing a thin film of vaseline on the oring to help make the seal.

also as mentioned the kegs can take a lot of pressure to make the seal, but once made the seal stays intact wth a lower pressure.

if the dings are to much for the o-ring to seal, get some silcone baking sheet and try cutting an oval gasket to sit on top of the o-ring being a softer material it may fill the gaps and seal qucker at a lower pressure, again vaseline may help keep it in place prior to sealing.

i think to work the keg lip you may do more damage than good without the right tools and skills.

I have a keg which sounds similar to yours. It needs about 30psi to seal properly at which point I hear the lid pop into place. After that I can drop to whatever pressure I want and the seal is maintained. If that is the case then I don't think you have any problems. I think the prv activates at 120 psi?

candirect do a soft o ring for the lids that might be an option, can't link to it but it is in spare parts for cc kegs

darrenwest1 said:
i have a cornie that is a little beaten around the top there the o ring seats
anyone got any tips for re shaping the lip
i can get it to seal but only at 25psi
My 2nd cornie would not seal unless I gave it a blast of 20 to 25psi but this worried me in case the seal broke when the pressure dropped.
I can't stand the idea of wasted beer.
Further investigation revealed that the lid clamp was not doing its job properly when closed as the lid was not lifting enough.
I slightly bent the ends down a bit in the vice which seems to have done the job.
I did ensure that the "O" ring was well greased with vaseline when I filled it with lager.
Still gassed it to 40psi to carbonate then released the pressure down to 20psi - still conditioning at the mo but I think it's solved the problem.

Latest posts

Back