"Left-overs" Mixed Fruit Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We needed to make space in the freezer so I decided to turn a collection of frozen fruit leftovers into a gallon.
About 1.5kg Crab Apple, 1kg of raspberries and blueberries. Started yesterday:
Step 1: frozen fruit in bucket covered with boiling water, left overnight.
Step 2: this morning mashed fruit and added 1 crushed Campden tablet and a tsp of Pectolase, leave for 2 days
next:
- add 750g sugar solution to make 1gal, add tannin, citric acid, nutrient, yeast, leave on pulp for 1 week.
- then strain into DJ to ferment dry
Just off the top of my head ... the pulp gives off a nice raspberry aroma which I hope to preserve by using less sugar than I normally would (1kg).

Last edited:
One of the best fruit wines I ever made was from the bottom of the freezer, couldn't 100% identify all of the fruit but all red/dark red/black. OK this was over 20 years ago but it was bloody marvelous. Only trouble was that I only got 6 bottles out of it.

Method as you describe, if I remember almost 3lb of fruit. Fermented on the pulp for 3 days, strained, sugar added to 1100 (ish), bentonite, pectolase and citric acid. Didn't use campden as they'd been frozen (?).

It should be good!

Almost a week on the pulp ... pre and post stirring/degassing. Looking good.
IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

That's looking promising! If I was doing it, I'd get that strained but others may diasagree. What colour is the liquid, looking rose?
I will strain it off pulp at the weekend.
Yes it's rose type, from the raspberries & blueberries. Hope it stays that colour though I expect it will be a hint of rose, once strained and finished fermenting.

Well, off the pulp this morning, and what a nice colour so far. I'm hoping this will turn into rose once the solids have settled. Taste is very nice, raspberry aroma and taste with added tartness from the crab apples.

What's left of the fruit!
IMG_0746.JPG
DJ full to the top:
IMG_0745.JPG
And a "left-overs" bottle - perfectly fine to drink now but I leave it for topping up when racking:
IMG_0747.JPG

Love making friut wines. The colour looks fantastic, should make it a lovely Ros'e . Please keep us posted on how it goes. 😎🍷🥂

Latest posts

Back