Length of time in pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbsf

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whurr the ol' M5 crosses the ancient M4...
Hi all,

I've got a Coopers stout kit that I'm itching to get going, and was planning on putting in my pressure barrel once the primary ferment has finished.

My Q is how long can something like a 4.5% stout last in a barrel? I've got an S30 cylinder and barrel cap, so can top up with CO2 if required.

I ideally want to brew the stout for Christmas (so giving it plenty of time to condition) but wonder if it's too early to be thinking about brewing it yet - should I maybe wait until September-ish?

Cheers, Fatboyslimfast.

You'll probably need to add CO2 at some point to get the beer out (I usually get half way through before needing to add CO2) so, if your standard cap has no valve, I'd go for your S30 cap. I've heard talk (though not tried myself) of some injecting CO2 at the start, letting it settle then cracking the top to let the O2 out before re-sealing.

Either way, go for the cap with valve.

As long as theres no leaks for oxygen to get in it should last for about 12 months. Longest I've left a beer in a pressure barrel is about 8 months, still tasted fine. A 4.5% stout could be brewed in October so by December it will have reached it's peak condition.

Hops are said to start wearing off after 6 months. Kits arn't big on aroma anyway, so you should probably be fine in that respect.

What i would consider is strengthening it up a bit, if you're happy to keep it in the keg for that long then take advantage of the ageing and get a stronger, fuller bodied beer on!

I've had mine out of the bucket since saturday, tasted great immediately on transferring so i'm just drinking it now :cheers: hahah.

In that case, I'll leave the brewing until September. That'll mean 2-3 months conditioning.

When you mention strengthening it up a bit, are you meaning brewing it short, or adding more spraymalts? I was going to go with the suggested recipe (sugar) and maybe drop it to 20L, but if there is a spraymalt combo that is tried and tested, I'd be up for giving it a go.

I just brewed this same kit to 21L (you don't really need any less) and with 1kg Enhancer instead of 1kg sugar. The result is VERY malty, it's sweet and delicious. Not sure on the abv but from extract brewing, 2 litres off usually boosts it about 0.5%.

Many people use a pack of dark spraymalt instead, brown sugar is good, as is a little treacle. but that's entirely up to you, have a search! there's plenty of info on this kit :)

Latest posts

Back