Liam & Noels Manchester Sauce

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
As my name suggests I like to do a bit of alchemy whether it be brewing (obviously my main endeavours) or in the kitchen with my baking and cooking.

Well today i took full advantage of being home alone and decided to do some Alchemy. I did think of doing marmite but as that takes about three gallons of yeast slurry and 3 weeks of simmering in a big pot to make a cup full of marmite, I thought better of that and came up with this. As you know I never clone but do approximations so I decided on

Manchester Sauce.

* 500ml of GA's Stout Beersamic vinegar
* 100mlMalt extract ( I didn't have any mollases)
* 100ml soy sauce
* 50g dried tamarind (look for it in the Asain aisle with the condiments)
* 1 Table spoon brown mustard seeds
* 1 teaspoon whole cloves
* 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
* 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 Small onions, chopped
* 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder
* 3 smashed, peeled garlic cloves
* 1 cinnamon sticks
* 100g Sugar

Well with ingredients assembled I first heated the vinegar in a pan and added everything bar the Sugar. I boiled it for about five minutes then turned of the heat.

IMG-20130609-00283_zps1a295408.jpg

The sugar is heated in a seperate non stick frying pan to caramalise get it as dark as you can. Once this is done you need to add sugart very carefully to the rest of the mix. I wasn't careful and ended up with molten sugar syrup lava all over the Hob.

IMG-20130609-00284_zps0d8c8241.jpg

After cleaning the kitchen from top to toe I let it cool in the pan ( well I transfered to a clean pan so as tp clean the pan before everything got hardened on. :lol: :lol: )

Some of you Worcestershire sauce aficionado's will notice I haven't added any anchovies, well as i said this is an approximation not a clone and anyone who knows the Hendersons Yorkshire sauce doesn't have anchovies in it. Anyway i plan on giving some of it to a vegi friend so no anchovies.

It is really easy to make and early tasting indicates that it certainly tastes like Lee and Perrins worcestershire sauce.

:thumb:

It has now cooled and is in a jar to sit in the fridge to mature for a few weeks/months/years :lol: :lol:

IMG-20130609-00285_zps7b97e732.jpg

Lea & Perrins already done it.

:D

Go well with that cheese your gonna make one day...

:thumb: :thumb:

The fact it's called Liam and Noels I take it 2 of the ingredients fight each other at some point.

Yes it packs plenty of punch in fact all the ingredients are fighting to get out of the jar. :lol:

Well it has been about 3 weeks now so a quick update.

After being in the fridge for two weeks I took out the cinnamon as that was quite prevalent in the taste, I also mashed up the rest of it with a blender. I tasted it and decided that some Fenugreek leaves wouldn't go a miss so i poured in about a table spoons worth. I then left it again for a week.

On Saturday I strained it of the spices/sludge and bottled it I also tasted it and added another half a teaspoon of chilli as it had lost some of its heat. i noticed that it had lost some of the vinegar taste so I put in another 200ml of vinegar (cider this time) in with the sludge and back in the jar.

Already 3 days in it has picked up more of the flavour from the spices. I am going to leave this for a few more weeks and then use it to blend with the original sauce to taste.

Does it taste like Worcestershire sauce, well yes it does not a carbon copy, definately got more flavour in it. In any case it is an approximation not a clone that I was after.

Definitely do it again.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back