Lidl apple juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi sure this is covered loads of time. I see Lidl have the large apple juice cartons back in was thinking making a cider from it and adding that polish syrup to it.. Looking a recipe if anyone could help illus I have cider yeast but is bit old would ale yeast be okay to use. Don't want a real dry cider either all advice appreciated thank you

Make sure that the Lidl carton is preservative free and it will be fine for cider.:thumb1:The Lowicz Syrup is great and it tells you the sugar content on the side so you should be able to work out the amount you need to use for the desired ABV.:thumb1:Use the "old" cider yeast to make a starter. If it activates you've saved yourself a couple of quid and you are using a genuine cider yeast. If it doesn't then Wilco Ale Yeast is my own "go to" yeast in an emergency so I would use that.:shrug:The easiest way to make a sweet cider is to let it ferment out completely and then add a non-sugar sweetener such as Candrel until it is sweet enough for your taste.:thumb1:
Hope this helps. :gulp:

using roddy's method,

15l apple juice,
2 1/4 bottles of syrup, strawberry
juice from 3-4 limes
4tsp pectolase
strong black tea 500ml with 5 tea back stewed for a while.

whack it all in the fv, top up to 23l with water.

cider yeast with sweetener( think ebay is the best place to get it) then let ferment.

prime the lot with the left over bottle of syrup that you took the 1/4 out of.

tastes fab, even the wife likes it and she is not cider drinker.

using roddy's method,

15l apple juice,
2 1/4 bottles of syrup, strawberry
juice from 3-4 limes
4tsp pectolase
strong black tea 500ml with 5 tea back stewed for a while.

whack it all in the fv, top up to 23l with water.

cider yeast with sweetener( think ebay is the best place to get it) then let ferment.

prime the lot with the left over bottle of syrup that you took the 1/4 out of.

tastes fab, even the wife likes it and she is not cider drinker.
Would it be alright without the pectolase and just normal unsweetened cider yeast could back sweeten it or maybe just add couple litres of apple juice straight to keg and rest of the syrup then rack cider straight on top of the and force cárb in kegerator so it won't ferment apple juice just added for sweetness. What you reckon

Would it be alright without the pectolase and just normal unsweetened cider yeast could back sweeten it or maybe just add couple litres of apple juice straight to keg and rest of the syrup then rack cider straight on top of the and force cárb in kegerator so it won't ferment apple juice just added for sweetness. What you reckon
No idea mate, but my yeast was not the sweetened one and was fine. As for the pectolase, not sure what it does really but think it help bring out the flavours and improves clarity.

Simple solution. Just try, worst case you can make more later

I normally leave 2 litres of apple juice from my 23 litres and add them about 5 days into fermentation then leave it for the 2 weeks.
when bottling i tried using Lyle golden syrup for carbonation and it tasted better than than sugar.

"Dutto canderel is aspartame and it's really bad for you"

How do you work that one out?
Can you imagine the size of the class action lawsuit that a company like Cocoa Cola would face if there were negative effects from aspartame?
So long as you don't have PKU. it's perfectly safe - and much, much, much safer than the alcohol that you plan on drinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you work that one out?
Can you imagine the size of the class action lawsuit that a company like Cocoa Cola would face if there were negative effects from aspartame?
So long as you don't have PKU. it's perfectly safe - and much, much, much safer than the alcohol that you plan on drinking.

A lot of people claim it has negative side effects, especially in children, although aproved for human consumption who knows what may happen to it when combined with other chemicals in wine and during fermentation. Same goes for all sweetners, you cannot be absolutly sure that it will not react and produce a slightly modified chemical substance that can affect you. It may affect some people differently, if you're ok doesn't mean another drinking your wine will be.

Last edited:
Hmmm!

Here's the rub. Since WW2 the scientists have invented over 25,000 "new" substances. i.e. new chemicals that aren't found in nature.

All the manufacture has to do is to prepare a Material Safety Data Sheet that shows the toxicity of the substance and how such toxicity can be controlled.

It would be impossible to check how "new" substance "A" will react when mixed with "new" substance "B: and "new" substance "Z" so we only have general guidelines. This system is also used on lab rats for any "new" substance that is deemed suitable for human consumption.

Take a look at this link for a product called Adaptil ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038XBOJC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Plug it into an electrical socket, switch it on, it will give off fumes, the fumes will be breathed in by your dog and the dogs behaviour will be changed for the better.

Yippee doo! or is it "Yippee doo?":thumb:The chemicals that are being generated are also breathed in by you, your children and any visitors to your home. If the substance being injected into the atmosphere of the home is capable of changing the actions of a semi-wild animal, then who is to say that it won't affect the people?

Personally, I have banned from my home all gadgets that emit scents or other fumes into the air.

I saw a wonderful item on the TV one morning. They were discussing the recent massive increase in asthma and eczema in the youth of today when a visiting Doctor explained to the presenter "To build up their immunity, kids should be allowed to get dirty, play in dirt and even eat dirt."

The presenter nodded sagely and the programme then cut to an advert that showed a housewife spraying a telephone, wiping down door handles and cleaning her floors with a product that "Kills 99% of germs, dead.":gulp:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back