Lively beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGT

Reaction score
Hi guys as stated about s month ago this is my ist brew.
After dry Hopping and transferring to my keg after correct SP readings I left my brew to settle as per instructions for the time specified.
I've just drew a glass full of beer to see what it's like and it's very very gasy and a tad cloudy still.
A.
should I leave it to clear for a greater length of time.
B.
Should or will I need to use a clearing agent .
Cheers andy

Has the keg been sitting undisturbed for a few days, or have you just moved it and attached it to your tap? If it's the latter, then the movement will have agitated it and stirred up the sediment a bit and you may want to leave it another day.

You'll find that the sediment drops to the bottom of the keg, which is also where the tube goes down to draw up the beer, so the first glass or two will always be a bit cloudy. It should clear up a bit after that.

The cloudiness won't harm you. Enjoy your first brew for what it is, and if you still think clarity is a problem at the end of the first keg, people here will have suggestions (fining agents etc)

Has the keg been sitting undisturbed for a few days, or have you just moved it and attached it to your tap? If it's the latter, then the movement will have agitated it and stirred up the sediment a bit and you may want to leave it another day.

You'll find that the sediment drops to the bottom of the keg, which is also where the tube goes down to draw up the beer, so the first glass or two will always be a bit cloudy. It should clear up a bit after that.

The cloudiness won't harm you. Enjoy your first brew for what it is, and if you still think clarity is a problem at the end of the first keg, people here will have suggestions (fining agents etc)
Thank you for replying im not overly concerned about a little cloudyness it's the gasiness that's I wondering about.
A pint glass and it's half froth half beer will this drop as the keg/barrel pressure goes down as I pour more out of it with consumption
Cheers Andy

Thank you for replying im not overly concerned about a little cloudyness it's the gasiness that's I wondering about.
A pint glass and it's half froth half beer will this drop as the keg/barrel pressure goes down as I pour more out of it with consumption
Cheers Andy

Right...well,firstly...congratulations on getting the barrel to seal and hold pressure. This in itself can be a right PITA!
How "fast" are you dispensing the beer? If you fully open the tap and let it come gushing out under all that lovely pressure it can get foamy. Maybe try just cracking the tap,angle the glass,and take it slower.
It will clear in time but like you,I'm not that bothered.
Yes,eventually your key will lose pressure and either need gassing by whichever method you have or you can reprime with some sugar.

Right...well,firstly...congratulations on getting the barrel to seal and hold pressure. This in itself can be a right PITA!
How "fast" are you dispensing the beer? If you fully open the tap and let it come gushing out under all that lovely pressure it can get foamy. Maybe try just cracking the tap,angle the glass,and take it slower.
It will clear in time but like you,I'm not that bothered.
Yes,eventually your key will lose pressure and either need gassing by whichever method you have or you can reprime with some sugar.

Yes Clint I had a leak at 1st on the barrel tap but fettled that quickly.
Thanks for the info.
I'll give it a week or 2 and check it for clarity but as you say I'm not that fussy.
I'm trying to pour it slowly but it's just getting the hang of it I reckon now you have given me the confidence and it's not me being over keen to get at it and have some good ale lol
(youngs American IPA).
Thanks again for you reply

As Clint says, the pressure will go down as you dispense the beer.

You may also find that the beer comes out with a huge head, but isn't actually hugely fizzy. This is due to the CO2 coming out of the beer rapidly as it goes from the high pressure of the keg to the normal atmosphere in a very short narrow distance (basically as it goes through the tap). The plastic taps fitted to the barrels make it worse (Google Venturi effect). I switched by plastic taps out for some plumbing supplies and it helped, but you'll struggle to fully eradicate the problem.

You _can_ open the top of the keep keg to let out some pressure, then reseal it. This will help a bit, but then you'll end up having trouble dispensing the beer part way down the keg, unless you inject some more co2.

I just lived with the first few glasses being half head when I used barrels.

Youngs IPA...before going all grain I did that kit a few times..its a good one.
I now know your problem! I think...did you use ALL the priming sugar that came with the kit?
If so it's a bit too much for a plastic keg. You only need about 90g,the kit supplies over 100g.
Another point worth noting is that kit can take 3 weeks to hit its fg..about 1.008 so could still be slowly fermenting.
Not a big deal but things to consider.

Youngs IPA...before going all grain I did that kit a few times..its a good one.
I now know your problem! I think...did you use ALL the priming sugar that came with the kit?
If so it's a bit too much for a plastic keg. You only need about 90g,the kit supplies over 100g.
Another point worth noting is that kit can take 3 weeks to hit its fg..about 1.008 so could still be slowly fermenting.
Not a big deal but things to consider.

As Clint says, the pressure will go down as you dispense the beer.

You may also find that the beer comes out with a huge head, but isn't actually hugely fizzy. This is due to the CO2 coming out of the beer rapidly as it goes from the high pressure of the keg to the normal atmosphere in a very short narrow distance (basically as it goes through the tap). The plastic taps fitted to the barrels make it worse (Google Venturi effect). I switched by plastic taps out for some plumbing supplies and it helped, but you'll struggle to fully eradicate the problem.

You _can_ open the top of the keep keg to let out some pressure, then reseal it. This will help a bit, but then you'll end up having trouble dispensing the beer part way down the keg, unless you inject some more co2.

I just lived with the first few glasses being half head when I used barrels.
Thank you for your info.
I'm going to let the brew sit for a few more weeks as Clint suggests and see where it's at then.
As you say I'll live with the frothy ness

Back