llanharan lad

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtvessel

Reaction score
Was going to say i was from Wales, then the rhondda, but then said lets put the village on the map, hello to all brewers ! made my last brew in the 80's and from what i remember its best left in the 80's. So having been given a taste of homebrew by my brotherlaw which was coopers aussie lager, coopers mexican ceveza and i.p.a. i decided to have a go myself with his assistance on the aussie brew.
Placed fermenting vessel in a bath of water with a 25w aquarium heater and digital thermemeter off ebay and brewed at 20 degrees for a week, drained slowly into another vessel with tap to get rid of most of sediment and left for 2 days, then bottled into grolsch bottles (obtained from local club) and kept in warm for a week. bottles then stored in the cold garage for nearly a week and had a taste last night and was most impressed with carbonation and clearness of drink it should improve with a few more weeks before i seriously sample them.
what's next ? open for suggestions ! could be black rock or finlandia cider or may go for beer say coopers i.p.a. or similar. will stick to basic kits for time being and buy carbonated water for 16 pence from tesco for the pet bottles.

Hi, welcome to the forum :drink:

I wouldn't bother making cider from a kit, apparently they are not too succesful.

If it's cider you are after have a look on here at Turbo Cider.

Runwell-Steve said:
I wouldn't bother making cider from a kit, apparently they are not too succesful.
I made a black rock cider kit and it was chronic not even tasting like cider and very flat(tho' at the time I was using carbonation drops) take runwell-steve's advice. Oooh and welcome to the forum. ;)

Try turbo cider without doubt and instead of getting carbonated water get still and make some ginger beer... you will fill the bottles back up but they won't stay full for long.

I would stick with collecting from the local too, can't go wrong with glass bottles.

Happy rebrewing

Thanks all, i don't intend using the carbonated water for anything i just wanted to use the pet bottles (until i recieve a further supply of grolsch bottles) to put on another brew.I had read mixed reports on cider, but good reports for coopers ipa and stout. finally where will i find a good recipe for turbo cider and ginger beer. I understand there will be a some like myself starting on the one/two can extracts and also the more experienced mashers, whoever you are once again thank you.

just search for turbo cider you can tweak it to your tastes but its basically pure apple juice from concentrate the cheapo supermarket stuff is fine then some tannin but cold strong tea will work fine and yeast bobs your uncle itdoes finish dry though so you can back sweeten if you prefer it slightly sweeter

the recipe is on here just search for ginger beer, the pet bottles will come for the non carbonated water that you use for the ginger beer, saves buying stuff that you won't use.. apparently tap water isn't good for ginger beer as it can impart ick flavours..

Back