Hello from Southampton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member from the South Coast countryside, not far from Southampton. I am pretty green, I brewed from a Coopers beer kit in 2017 with poor results and brewed again (due to cost of drinking crisis) a couple of months back from a MYO American IPA kit. I believe this turned out oxidised and possibly experienced some off-flavours due to fermenting in my shed during those very hot days a few weeks ago. I have over 30 bottles of it left and will probably get through it eventually, every sip of the wretched stuff encourages me to do better next time.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I have a Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA which I'll be getting started tonight. I got given a working fridge and have bought an inkbird temperature control and a 25W heater belt for my fermentation vessel so I will have better temperature control this time round. The water here is harder than nails so I've bought Tesco Ashbeck for this one. I would welcome any advice on preventing oxidisation, I bottled via syphon with bottling wand into glass bottles and currently have no CO2 capabilities.

Happy days!! 🍻

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a new member from the South Coast countryside, not far from Southampton. I am pretty green, I brewed from a Coopers beer kit in 2017 with poor results and brewed again (due to cost of drinking crisis) a couple of months back from a MYO American IPA kit. I believe this turned out oxidised and possibly experienced some off-flavours due to fermenting in my shed during those very hot days a few weeks ago. I have over 30 bottles of it left and will probably get through it eventually, every sip of the wretched stuff encourages me to do better next time.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I have a Mangrove Jacks Fruity Session IPA which I'll be getting started tonight. I got given a working fridge and have bought an inkbird temperature control and a 25W heater belt for my fermentation vessel so I will have better temperature control this time round. The water here is harder than nails so I've bought Tesco Ashbeck for this one. I would welcome any advice on preventing oxidisation, I bottled via syphon with bottling wand into glass bottles and currently have no CO2 capabilities.

Happy days!! 🍻
👋 Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum - I'm from Poole

Bottled water is the way to go with kits for our water. I found the Juicy Session IPA to create a lot of sediment when I bottled it, so if I was doing it again i'd probably drop the temp on day 15&16 to 2c and maybe even add gelatin/finings

It turned out really good and I think I have just 1 or 2 bottles left

Welcome to the forum - I'm from Poole

Bottled water is the way to go with kits for our water. I found the Juicy Session IPA to create a lot of sediment when I bottled it, so if I was doing it again i'd probably drop the temp on day 15&16 to 2c and maybe even add gelatin/finings

It turned out really good and I think I have just 1 or 2 bottles left
I love it over your way, will be camping in Dorset in a few weeks 👍 Thanks for the tip, I will give that a go!

Welcome to the forum - I’m in Dorchester and have the same hard water. Moved to Ashbeck first with good results but now use spotless water after transitioning to all grain.

Welcome I’m in Romsey so know about the hardness of the water. I made the possible mistake of brewing in my garage during the hot weather a week ago. I haven’t got a fridge only a temperature controlled cupboard, wheat beer hit 29c when the fermentation took off! It’s got another week in the fermenter before I know how good or bad it’s going to be.

Welcome I’m in Romsey so know about the hardness of the water. I made the possible mistake of brewing in my garage during the hot weather a week ago. I haven’t got a fridge only a temperature controlled cupboard, wheat beer hit 29c when the fermentation took off! It’s got another week in the fermenter before I know how good or bad it’s going to be.
Thanks for the welcome, yes hopefully your brew will be AOK!

Latest posts

Back