looking for a recipe simular to a wychwood hobgoblin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott87

Reaction score
hi, i have tryed so many different ales and come across a wychwood hobgobling last year and been drinking it ever since. and now i would like to try make something simular. just wondering if anybody can give a noob some advice and guidence. also what if any hops are used etc... as id like to grow a few. any info would be a help

thanks scotty

You want Orfy's Hobgoblin clone then, the guy spent ages perfecting the recipe. I can't find the original thread but here's the recipe

Orfy’s Hobgoblin
Specifics
Style: Old Ale
Yield: 6 gallons US
Color (SRM/EBC): 17.6/34.7
Bitterness: 29.7 IBU (Rager)
ABV: 6.1%
ABW: 4.8%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.014
App. Atten.: 75.8%
Real Atten.: 62.1%
General Information
Method: All Grain

Grains
11.50 pounds British Maris Otter Pale Malt 88.9% of grist
0.60 pounds Crystal Malt 60L 4.6% of grist
0.50 pounds American Dextrin (Cara-Pils) Malt 3.9% of grist
0.33 pounds British Chocolate Malt 2.6% of grist
12.93 pounds Total Grain Weight (Water Amounts) 100% of grist
Miscellaneous Ingredients (Non-Fermentable)
0.01 Irish Moss @ 15 minutes

Hops
0.50 ounces Kent Golding 5.00% Leaf @ 60 minutes Type: Aroma Use: First Wort 2.5 AAUs
0.50 ounces Fuggle 4.50% Leaf @ 60 minutes Type: Aroma Use: First Wort 2.3 AAUs
0.75 ounces Fuggle 4.50% Leaf @ 30 minutes Type: Aroma Use: Boil 3.4 AAUs
0.75 ounces Kent Golding 5.00% Leaf @ 30 minutes Type: Aroma Use: Boil 3.8 AAUs
0.75 ounces Fuggle 4.50% Leaf @ 0 minutes Type: Aroma Use: Boil 3.4 AAUs
0.75 ounces Kent Golding 5.00% Leaf @ 0 minutes Type: Aroma Use: Boil 3.4 AAUs

Yeast
Name: Nottingham
Manufacturer: Danstar
Type: Ale
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 75%
Temperature Range: 57–70°F
Amount: 12 gr
Procedure
Single infusion mash at 156F for 90 minutes.

Fermentation
Primary: 21 days @ 65° F

I'm brewing a very similar recipe to this in about an hour ! hop additions are slightly different and I will be using a quantity of Styrian Golding

How cost effective is it making such a brew? There seems to be so many ingrediants

Costs are very subjective and variable depending on how where you buy your ingredients from. But you could make it for around 35-40p per 500ml bottle.
But as home brewers individual costs do not figure much in the equation.

Hi guys

I'd like to try this recipe but as an extract brew, do you think it's possible to be quite accurate doing that?

Does this sound about right as a translation? (I haven't done an extract brew yet, will be trying it this week hopefully!)

75% of 11.50lbs of Dry Pale Malt Extract (mix in with the cold water)
The other 3 malts (crystal, american and chocolate) as per recipe into a hop bag and steep in boiler as it is warming up (until reach 70C then remove)

All the other ingredients as per recipe? Still boiling for 90 mins?

Would I need to sparge the hops too?

I'm going to try the stout extract starter from the how to section first, but a hobgoblin clone is my main reason for leaving the tin can kits behind....

Cheers :cheers:

Wow I'm such a noobie, I am absolutely puzzled I thought I had it worked out but I'm way off. Think I need to get some books and educate my self

scott87 said:
Wow I'm such a noobie, I am absolutely puzzled I thought I had it worked out but I'm way off. Think I need to get some books and educate my self

Steady on don't beat yourself... :thumb: there's all the info here you need..just search. Get your grain bill & hops together and give it a go. Run through the recipe in your mind...write down a set list of things to do and follow a timer...and go for it. :thumb: the guys are here to help you...just start a post when you start to brew and any problems post on the forum. :clap: :clap:

Back