looking for a stout kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dps said:
i am looking for a stout kit for my next brew.
i have not got the kit for a ag brew.
so will have to be a one or two can kit

Hi,

Muntons do a very good two tin kit in the Gold range, the Coopers is a one tin and also gets very good reviews.

Should be kicking off the Muntons myself on sunday.

Keep us posted with what you end up brewing :thumb:

I did the Thomas Cooper's Irish Stout kit a while back with 400g brewing sugar and 400g dark spray malt and it came out very well. The malt gave it a strong chocolate/liquorice/porter kind of taste.

In hindsight I should've probably gone for 500g of each in order to beef it up a little, I only got 3.7% ABV, but it was nevertheless very nice.

A word of advice though would be to make sure you get all the malt stirred in properly. I hadn't used malt before, and as such didn't stir it all well enough at the beginning and had to get advice from others on here.

Next single tin of stout I end up doing will be 500g Extra dark malt, 400g of brown sugar and around 150g of black treacle.

Also looking at adding a Rauchmalz Bavarian smoked malt grain soup, but I need to look into this first. I want to add a Smokey taste.

The Goatreich said:
That sounds amazing! Out of interest, would you prime with the treacle, or just bung it all in at the start?

Think it will go in from the start, priming maybe abit OTT on the taste buds :party:

coopers brewmaster irish stout with 1 kg dark spraymalt, its awesome man. i put it in the cornie and its brilliant, even my dad who doesnt like homebrew likes the stout. i think priming with treacle in bottles would be nice aswell, i would have liked a touch more chocolate flavour in it, maybe id consider adding some cocoa powder next time

mickthetrick said:
priming with black treacle is fine. in fact i done it with a little advice a forum member and it turned out very very nice.

2oz black treacle to 23 ltr if batch priming. oh and its not overpowering at all :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up

Latest posts

Back