• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for bottle crates to hold 500ml

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClawedBrewer

Reaction score
I'm after some bottle crates to hold 500ml bottles in the South Birmingham area.

4-5 crates would be ideal

Open to buying online if the postage is a low enough price.

Doesn't seem to bad but for the amount of bottles I want to store it gets expensive quickly!

Would something like this do the job?

https://www.wbc.co.uk/12-beer-bottle-transit-case

BB12S_zoom_.jpg

Last edited:
Are there some plans around for DIY wooden crates?

If I found something "standard" I could make a few up, but I doubt I could find the wood for £7 each.
Made a couple last year from 9mm pine ply with lids just for storage in the house. Problem is finding boards thin enough for a traditional crate.

1cm thick x 7 or 8 cm wide panelling (lambris). Drawing from Amazon.co.uk. Internal dimensions tweeked by lining up 4x3 1 pint bottles. The panelling is tongue and groove. Plane down the tongues, but don't worry about the grooves (face them downwards) it's only an effin' crate after all. Packs of this panelling cost me about £10 for two square metres and I reckon I can make at least 6 per pack. The real cost is in time.
IMAG1153.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone purchase the IKEA boxes? If so, how many 500ml bottles do they fit? Do they work? They are on offer at the moment.

Cheers, Nick

20200427_180514.jpg

I made these 2 crates from old pallets and a some offcuts of timber, they hold 28 bottles each and stack nicely, I found some plans on instructables but added on extra cm to suit my requirements

I went on a day trip to Belgium a few years ago, bought a few crates of mixed beer, paid a €5 deposit on the crates. I was planning another trip there last month, but because of the lockdown, I haven't had a chance.

I just use a cardboard box with a sheet of plywood at the bottom. The ply provides plenty of strength to stack them and in the unlikely event of an explosion the box replacement costs nothing 🤣

Back