Anyone using the red VINTERFINT IKEA bottles for beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of these bottles a few weeks ago and I’ve done several tests on them since.

I’m talking of these

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vinterfint-bottle-with-stopper-glass-red-60552338/
19BB9A8A-F82F-4060-8E15-C210F464DE7A.jpeg

At just 75p each they are very cheap!

They don’t hold pressure whatsoever out of the box but with a replacement swing top bottle gasket added they hold pressure very well!

They appear to be fairly thin and weogj
Maybe 2/3 the weight of a normal 500ml swing top beer bottle. I was unsure on whether they would hold pressure so I’ve done some tests on them and so far they have held up well.

The first test I counter pressure filled a few of the bottles with 30psi cider. Left them for a couple of weeks and nothing. I then wrapped them in a towel and shuck the hell out of them and again nothing. I done all this wearing goggles and thick clothing just in case.

The second test I added 8g of sugar to each 500ml bottle and left them to pressurise. Again they held up well and nothing shattered. This from my calculations would have been about 60psi per bottle!

Anyone else using these bottles? Do you think I can consider them safe to use at sub 30 psi after the above tests?

This has all got me thinking, I wonder how much pressure a normal standard bottle can actually hold, like a normal wine bottle. I’m assuming it’s probably a damn sight more than we would imagine! Not that I would ever use a standard wine bottle for carbonated beer of course!

Can't comment on this or similar bottles, except they feel a bit on the light side as the glass is thinner.
Personally I only use swing tops which had beer in or sold as suitable for beer, plus the odd champagne bottle.

Latest posts

Back