looks flat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johny73

Reaction score
hi all im new to home brew

i put my yeast in on saturday morning and sunday morning it had a foamy head but thats all gone now and beer looks flat as i had a peep today ,
havent noticed any bubbles in air lock tho unless its escaping from sides of lid ?

just wondering

the initial fermentation is often very vigorous and produces the foam. This then collapses back down as the available sugars reduce and the alcohol content increases, slowing the yeast action gradually. Take an SG reading it may be close to the target final gravity, in which case give it another day and test again - if the SG isn't changing, the fermentation is done.

I've had brews ferment out completely in just 48 hours, and others (kits) that took almost 3 weeks... You just have to rely on good sanitation, and the trust your SG readings :thumb:

Have you checked the hydrometer readings when started the brew, the initial stages of fermentation are quite vigorous and it slows down quite quickly, looks like not a lot going on when in reality it's just slowing down ;)

bigyin types quicker than me, similar answer :lol:

thanks guys the reading im getting is 1.020

never checked at start as instructions never said lol ,only after 4 days

What kit is it?

at 1.020 it's probably not finished - although I did once do a kit that refused to shift below 1.020, so I bottled it and it was damned tasty!

Give it another 2 days and check again :thumb:

Just remember, patience is the homebrewer's biggest ally :drink:

Latest posts

Back